***Aorus X7 Pro owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by cookiesowns, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M0rdresh

M0rdresh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agreed, I use mine for almost a year now and while does make fan noise, it is to be expected and part of a gaming laptop. I 'price' I'm more than willing to pay for its beautiful and practical thinness.

I'm far from selling and upgrading mine, everybody's mileage may vary but this thing eats everything I throw at it. Granted I have not tried VR, and don't even know of that is feasible. Did anyone try the Oculus Rift or Vive on the X7 2x970SLI series?

2. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Welp. I ordered my Aorus X7 PRO V5-SLCM from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow. First time I've owned a gaming laptop in nearly 4 years. I'm hoping the SLI 970m works well with the HTC vive. Does anyone know if/when the DT model is in stock? I'm hoping I can buy one and swap the mobo into the multicam chassis

3. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I uh got it today and updated the GPU driver and now SLI doesnt work. Tried to roll back and now its saying my hardware isnt compatable -_- as far as first impressions go... not super stoked about a future of relying on OEM updated gpu drivers

4. Neil Patrick Faller

Neil Patrick Faller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    have you enabled maximize 3D performance under NVIDIA control panel after installation?

5. boysangur

boysangur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How heavily do you guys game on these things? Anything melted off T1000 style?

6. gdmaddog

gdmaddog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I game every day. Mostly FPS stuff like BF4 and the new BF1 beta. Its a nice platform for these types of games. No, nothing has melted yet. Just be sure to keep all the screens on bottom of the laptop clear of dust.

7. Neil Patrick Faller

Reputations:
    I saw the X7v6 with additional air intake above the keyboard. Im thinking of drilling some mini holes above fan inside. I know its crazy but I dont know how much temp it will lower with better airflow. Im still waiting for video review of x7v6 to see how significantly improve the temps. I hope they will test it covered and open top airvents for comparisons.

8. M0rdresh

Reputations:
    I don't think the cooling concept of the X7 v6 is that straight-forward, for all we know our X7's airflow has a different design and the drilled holes can offset that and as such the cooling.
    In other words, I would not drill them holes.

9. M0rdresh

Reputations:
    On a different note, I bought myself a HTC VIVE and have been having good success running all games I came a across.
    I have SLI enabled, but most games use only one GPU, other games benefit from the second GPU for NVIDIA VRWORKS and PhysX.

I've been holding back from the purchase for month cause I thought it was simply a no-go with my specs (see signature), but I'm happy its all good.
    And that does not mean running all at low settings either.

10. Neil Patrick Faller

Reputations:
    Im also planning to buy VR between oculus and htc. Thanks for the info that we can play VR in our monster laptop. But i will wait for many VR SLI support in games and price drop of VR headgears.
    I have question about VR, can some old games can be played in VR with 3D stereoscopic support? or play it in 2D just like big monitor? Thanks

About the drilling holes, i saw the pictures of x7v6 inside and its identical in Fan placement. The fan has big hole above and bottom for air intake but I will see first the temp difference in real gaming. In some reviews they say temp drops 9C which is significant. Im currently disabling my CPU turbo to have stable temp at 80-85C while gaming AAA titles and the fans is significantly quiet. Im concern for longer life of our laptop and lower temp is a must.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.