***Aorus X7 Pro owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by cookiesowns, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sen7inel

Sen7inel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I bit the bullet and got the DT. My impressions thus far are mostly positive. Coming off a GS60 I was expecting to be disappointed with the keyboard but was pleasantly surprised instead. Fit and finish is top-notch as well.

Concerning noise and heat: I was expecting a this thing to be LOUD... and it's not. It's not froufrou-book quiet and the cpu fan is audible at all times, but this is a gaming laptop. Fans ramp up accordingly under load but either X7's of yore were louder or reviewers were over reacting. As for heat, I've seen gpu temperatures as high as 86C after prolonged benchmarking. I consider this acceptable considering the chassis thickness and the hardware inside.

I've done some minor gpu overclocking, but anything over 125mhz or so results in prefcap events...nothing a custom vbios can't cure ;) One thing that is disappointing is that drivers on Aorus' website while dated 6/14 are actually ancient 359.x but that's not a knock against the laptop itself.

Overall a nice laptop that has no trouble running the Vive, probably one of the most portable as far as heavy-caliber gpu machines go.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Fan noise on the X7's have never been an issue for me and in fact I quite like it if I'm being honest. I agree many reviewers were over reacting regarding fans.

86C is very reasonable and reassuring for GPU temp. Can you tell me how high the CPU went on those tests as I think I saw some very high temps showed in an earlier post with screen captures.

I'm still on the fence. X7 DT for some VR action (BF3 preferably for me), however I know from some reviews that the dual 970M SLI can give slightly more fps on non-VR gaming. Mmmm... tough one.

3. Sen7inel

Reputations:
    I'll run some tests and get back to you

EDIT:

Here is a quick screenshot:

[​IMG]

I originally wanted to run this test for 30mins but had to head to work, this will have to do: What the picture doesn't tell you is that the fans are not running anywhere near maximum. In my opinion temps are acceptable at stock without cause for concern, and only get better if you undervolt (I've been running at -.75mV offset, same test yields temps barely in the mid 70s).

I realize the DT audience is small but I've been working on a custom vbios in my spare time (not much of it as of late), hope to post some results by end of week.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mmmm interesting, thanks for testing.

Regarding screenshots posted by GenTech PC for the X7 DT in previous post, unless mistaken, their results yielded CPU Package (and core 0) temperatures of 95°C with CPU utilisation at 92% & 94% and CPU clock speeds of 3.99GHz in which the latter rings true to Aorus's one click overclock feature for the new unlocked Skylake CPU's which Aorus stated to be 4GHz (which 3.99 more or less is).

I see your test showed a lower clock speed at 3.18GHz which may generate lower temps, would that have been run with the one click overclock feature 'off'?

Would be interesting to know if both/either the X7 v5 and X7 DT can be used in a constant overclock state at the unlocked clock to 4GHz (that Aorus has featured) without any throttling or overheating issues. The 4GHz unlocked clock speed would be great for CPU intensive game simming on FSX which is heavily CPU dependant and then the GTX 980 for Oculus Rift/Hive gaming.

That 95°C at 3.99Ghz clock speeds shown previously, does worry me a little though.

5. Sen7inel

Reputations:
    Edit: double post

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. Sen7inel

Reputations:
    Will take a look into cpu @ 4GHz. I should mention that all my measurements thus far have been with fans set to the default 'standard' not 'gaming' or 'custom' as that's the default preset. The 'gaming' fan mode ramps up a bit more aggressively and does not throttle the fans as much. I'd bet that just as myself Gentech didn't realize this and hence the higher cpu temps. I'll look into it later this week. As to my core speed, it was at default; turbo clocks ramp down depending on how many cores are currently engaged. All adjustable in XTU but again mine were at default.

7. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    how good are these aorus x7 pro 12 gb vram? can they max out witcher 3 on 1080p?

8. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're looking for laptop recommendations, head on over to the 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' subforum.

9. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Could anyone with an X7 v5 confirm if the unlocked one-click 4GHz overclock mode is stable and continuous, without any throttling?

10. Sen7inel

Reputations:
    I'll get back to you on that by week's end, just had to deal with some unexpected setbacks.

EDIT: This fell through the cracks, but better late then never I suppose.

All cores will not run at 4GHz with the 'one-click' overclock mode without some tweaking in XTC; the 4GHz preset overclock runs a single core at that speed. All four cores can be adjusted to run at 4GHz but in my case that required a mild over-volt to remain stable. Temps @ 91C after an hour of XTC benching with fans set to 'Game', no throttling though. Personally I'm fine with the factory 4GHz setting, but the ability is there to push all the cores if needed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.