***Aorus X7 Pro owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by cookiesowns, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do we know that there really is a G-sync model yet?

2. TheFallenPenguin

TheFallenPenguin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. TheFallenPenguin

Reputations:
    So I contacted Aorus a few times over the last couple of days, and I finally got a meaningful answer from them. They said that it isn't just a matter of giving a driver to enable G-Sync, they said that the laptop also needs a license for G-Sync support (They most likely have to pay a licensing fee to Nvidia for G-Sync support), so to get G-Sync on these new laptops the companies had to pay Nvidia for licensing, even though our old laptops can support G-Sync we never (and therefore the companies never) paid a license for our laptops.

I was really pissed when I first found out that my brand new laptop won't support G-Sync, but their reason for not supporting it is understandable. They're a company and if they now have to pay a license for all the laptops they previously sold they would lose money.
    With all of that, I'm fine with my laptop not supporting G-Sync as they did have a valid and understandable reason not to support it on their old models. They (Aorus) also said that they forwarded my message to an engineer and he will evaluate whether there is a chance of getting a paid upgrade to the new model in the future.

If a paid upgrade program does come out that allows me to upgrade my laptop to the X7 Pro-Sync I would definitely do it

improwise likes this.
  5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting stuff, which does indeed indicate that the only difference between them is...software. And even if Aorus would have to Nvidia to have G-sync enabled, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made some kind of "unlocker" available even if Aorus doesn't do it (free or paid).

http://www.lazygamer.net/pc-hardware/you-wont-need-a-new-monitor-for-g-sync-soon/
    http://techreport.com/review/28361/nvidia-g-sync-goes-mobile-adds-features

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  6. woofy495

woofy495 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Been a while since I've been on here. An hour ago the windows 10 reservation app popped up in my icon tray and I made a reservation. My main concern with the upgrade is the driver compatibility with the x7 pro. Hopefully Aorus will have updates in the near future for it.

Is anyone else planning to upgrade to win10?

7. TheFallenPenguin

Reputations:
  8. Vandit

Vandit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know if the new Pro sync x7 has an IPS panel? It will do 75 hz refresh right? So isn't that a different panel than what I the X7 pro CF1?

9. TheFallenPenguin

Reputations:
    Same IPS panel as the X7 Pro CF1, just clocked at 75Hz.

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't it so that today, SOME of the X7 Pro v3:s have IPS but not all of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.