Aorus X7 Dtv7 killed. Looking for a similar Laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by isaacmaple08, Dec 10, 2019.

1. isaacmaple08

isaacmaple08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, I had some issues with my previous X7 DT v7, in 2017 I repasted it with Conductonaut and Kryonaut. Last month, at first it was overheating/shutting off, smoking (or at least an acrid smell) when running a game. Eventually dying after I tried to repaste it and with the Liquid Metal It wouldn't turn back on after that.

Looking for a new one similar to an X7, I really liked it. I was also wondering if there was a "Barebones" laptop? I already have the W10 License, M.2 SSD's, 64GB DDR4, and a HDD. So I was wondering if there is something like a Barebones laptop?

1) Budget is about $2k
    2) Size: Desktop Replacement 17" preferred
    3) Country: USA
    4) Like: Asus, Aorus, MSI, Lenovo, Razer
    5) Would consider Refurb Laptops
    6) Mostly Gaming, Virtualization, Movies and some Office work
    7) Yes, home and work, and through the airport fairly often through the US and Europe
    8) Yes, SWTOR, Metro, The Outer Worlds, Phoenix Point. Mostly FPS and RPG games.
    9) 4+ would be preferred if not gaming. 2~ if gaming
    10) Buying online with reviews is fine without seeing it.
    11) Win10 usually

12) 2560x1440
    13) Not important

14) Not too interested in looks and stylish more utility, but I would prefer if it didn't look like a standard corporate laptop.

15) N/A

16) by the end of December
    17) 3-4 Years
    18) indefinitely I have a Gaming Desktop as well, but if I'm flying somewhere would like to have my Laptop
    19) Ship laptop to the vendor

Thanks everyone!

2. isaacmaple08

isaacmaple08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ultimately it looks like the one i'm closest to buying is the MSI GE75 RAIDER, i7-9750H (everything i've read has said the 9-series are within a few percent of the last gen) and a full RTX 2080.

It doesn't hit the 2560x1440 mark but mostly what I've seen is a lot of laptops even in the $3500+ area still sticking to 1080P 144hz IPS panels. Is the assumption w/ Laptop makers that I'll hook up to an external QHD monitor? Would it even Make sense to get a 2080 for a 1080P panel? I specifically looked for non Max-Q cards and this was one of them. It looked like full 2070 Cards were similar in performance to Mobile GTX1080 cards like my last laptop.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you can live with the RTX 2070 and FHD 144hz panel there is the Eluktronics N970TF. It is available as a barebones unit just like you want so for $1550 you could get the base kit with an i9-9900. There is a 4-part video review of it from @B0B on Youtube. Note that it only has two ram slots so if your 64gb is four sticks then you would need to purchase 32gb sodimms and sell what you already have.

Edit: Also, the P775TM-R is available from HIDEvolution with a 2560x1440 panel, as well as the Alienware m17 R1.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    B0B and isaacmaple08 like this.
  4. isaacmaple08

isaacmaple08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'd never heard of them. Watching a Video from him now on it :)

Do you think there's much of a difference between a i7-9750H/2080 vs i9-9900/2070?

I guess I'd go for the Liquid Metal upgrade on either, however I think since I borked my last X7 on the 2nd repaste I may Hire a local Enthusiast Shop to do it for me if I went with the MSI.

I watched his video on the MSI GE75 9SF with the Liquid Metal and he seemed to really like it. I'm not sure how much I'd use an i9 over an i7 but I'll continue watching the reviews from him to see about battery life, even though I doubt with a desktop Processor I could really ask for much more than an hour or two at most :p

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The N970TF model is pretty unknown, not carried by Sager and other more common resellers.

The i9-9900 is about 33% faster than most 9750H. Extra two cores, higher turbo speeds, higher TDP usually (75W) so it could be better for virtualization if you need it. Liquid Metal is an option direct from Eluktronics, so get it that way so its covered under warranty if it fails. Honestly though even normal pastes are fine for the cooling. The only downside of the machine is that the right side palm rest is warmer than the left side due to the GPU, and battery life is a less due to the desktop components.

isaacmaple08 likes this.