Aorus X7 DT V8 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by JCordero31, Aug 2, 2018.

1. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check my post about battery life. 5 Hrs idle. 3-4 hrs browsing web. 1-1.5 hours doing really heavy tasks.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, nice, was actually thinking about your review as well as the one from this OwnorDisown (something like that :) ) guy.

Would you consider using this machine instead of something like an XPS15 for more productivity use with some occational gaming or is it to much work? Not entierly sure I trust this optimus stuff 100%, ie it works but not sure if it has some downsides as well, DPC, driver conflicts etc...

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I agree that "...up to 8 hours..." may be under optimal conditions, and so it will end up somewhere in between.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will do, didnt show up on my feed until after I posted. Thanks.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe because I run discord on battery

Without discord maybe 50-60% battery boost, this app is terrible on power optimization

In the past I've gotten below 1.2w idle consistently on a 7700HQ with optimus (dgpu not enabled). Your CPU goes up in power consumption if the dGPU is enabled because it has to maintain a PCI signal connection to the GPU.

GTX1080 idle is around 5-6w, and that's if the power efficient settings are selected within nvidia control panel. Someone here claimed 4w on the CPU. That's 9-10w (9.4~hr) for the CPU/GPU, but alone not counting the storage/pch/screen/fan/RGB led/etc.

improwise likes this.
  6. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This machine is fastly more powerful than an XPS 15, especially in the graphics department. Optimus can be a headache if its not working properly, but generally, speaking works 90% of the time from my experience. I would much prefer to have optimus in a machine for battery life purposes.

improwise likes this.
  7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, if this had optimus I would not hesitate to get it. I had a previous version of this laptop and really liked it but with dual 970Ms the battery life was almost none so using it for any kind of portable work was to impractical in the long run. Have an AW17R4 also with a 1080 but would be nice to just have one laptop for work and pleasure :)

Anyone happen to know of a reliable seller in Northen Europe? Seems to be very hard to find here...

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it possible to hide/cover that ugly eagle that Aorus insist on putting on the TrackPad? Dont mind the one on the lid but the one on the trackpad is just tacky.

Anyone tried to use a TB3 dock with this laptop? TB3 charging is probably out of the question though :)

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Regarding MUX discussion before...

I guess that you are refering to the MSI, not that there is a magic switch for the Aorus enabling the Optimus? AFAIK, its hardwired so I guess not but...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey anyway you could provide me a link to your no telemetry win 7 i cant find the usb drive i had it on? please and thanks

Update: NVM i found one just updated last month

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018