Aorus X7 DT V8 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by JCordero31, Aug 2, 2018.

1. f3n1c3

f3n1c3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, for some reference, I can tell you that when I overclock to run all cores at 4.3 GHz with about an 85 mV undervolt I get some throttling now and then (not major) under heavy load, and with ThrottleStop it shows VR Current errors sporadically (which have been explained to me but I still don't understand how critical they are...something to do with memory I believe). At that point temperatures are around 90/92 degrees under continuous heavy load. If I knew more in detail about how to use ThrottleStop perhaps I could overcome these issues. I now keep the overclock at 4.2 GHz with 85 mV undervolt and it seems quite stable and temperatures stay below 90 in general.

2. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone had problems with a custom fan settings in deep control not sticking, when I reboot I get some weird custom fan setup. It's not even the default deep setup

3. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Newbie

Reputations:
    You should be able to hit around -0.150mv on cpu undervolt I'm currently at -0.160mv. I'm able to keep 4Ghz pretty stable without much throttling unless it's a stress benchmark and utilising 100% cpu. Also have gfx undervolted to 925 and max clock 1898 using msi afterburner.

4. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Newbie

Reputations:

Hey Gizmoslip

I was wondering during the time u had with the x7 what fan presets or custom setting did u use. Ive recently used liquid metal on mine but not seeing the temps u were able to get. even with an aggressive fan plan. My idle at 4ghz cpu is around 45-50degrees. Under a stress/benchmark is hits mid to late 80s and in AC odyssey it could hit up to mid 80s. Im seeing little to no throttling now at 4ghz but I would really like to hit 4.3Ghz with good reductions on temps.

cpu setup:-
    -0.160v
    power unlimited
    speed 4ghz

gpu setup:-
    set at 925mv
    speed max 1900
    mem default.

Its really starting to bug me as the liquid metal is only a small improvement on the TG kryonaut i recently tried. Any advice or maybe even pics of the internal custom setup(if thats ok) would be great.

5. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey,

So my guess is that your CPU perhaps isn't as good of a bin as the one I had in my Aorus X7. The other thing to keep in mind is that different workloads maxed the CPU at different clock speeds. Rendering videos I believe I was able to hit 4.1 ghz stable, but while I was gaming the laptop was stable at 4.3 ghz in almost all games that I can remember. I think in the end, I just kept it to 4.2 ghz with -0.165v and a AvX offset of .1 ghz.

In the end, the performance difference is very minimal between 4.0 and 4.3 ghz, so I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you can maintain a solid 4.0 clock speed as almost all thin and light laptops this thin can't even do 3.6 ghz on all cores (the average seems to be about 3.3 ghz for most laptops this thin).

6. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, I'm wondering should I thermal pad the chips around the cpu and gpu as these are only pasted, they were originally pasted and I just repasted with kyronaut. I know hidevolution used fujipoly pads on "heat sensitive" components I'm assuming this is what they put pads on.

7. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys quick question about the windows key that comes with the laptop and the aorus recovery system.

Is the oem windows key stored in the bios or the recovery image partition?
    If it is stored in the bios do i really need to have the recovery image partition?

I changed my nvme drives in the laptop soon after getting it and took me a while to get the recovery image partiton on the new drive and working as I was afraid I would lose the default windows key, but now im only finding out I was probably panicking over nothing?

This is my 1st modern laptop last one was about 20yrs ago lol and without a written key somewhere im just afraid of not being able to sell it on when the day comes.

Also if i get rid of the recovery image partition is it easy to remake one current hdd or a different one if i did sell?

8. Michaelscott658

Michaelscott658 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I’m new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone has this laptop for sale ? Apparently it’s sold out or not available where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. f3n1c3

f3n1c3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the Graphics card or CPU in the future for this machine?

10. Cruizer

Cruizer Newbie

Reputations:
    F3n,
    Unlike some Clevo models, these are not intended to be upgraded except for RAM and storage (perhaps an expert could do Cpu or Gpu but w difficulty, idk) As this is now an older model w Aorus 17 launch, I will say i prefer mine to the new flagship which requires 2 power bricks, weighs more, and is quite thick. Owners of X7 dt v8 probabaly arent worried about being underpowered. Our GTX 1080 should handle any upcoming games for years to come and the 144hz IPS display is timeless for HD gaming. If u can find one, this model is still a great buy IMO.

f3n1c3 likes this.