Aorus X7 DT V8 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by JCordero31, Aug 2, 2018.

1. DanielGryphon

DanielGryphon Newbie

Reputations:
    Live and hope that he/she can do more besides referring me to support, which as I mentioned has been quite unhelpful in the past...

JCordero31 likes this.
  2. Ratio Tile

Ratio Tile Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, I feel like I am now ready to post some of my initial findings with undervolting, temps and performance on this laptop. I'll edit this post as I refine my settings in the future. There's always some little tweak to make.

CPU:

I have settled on a -.144v undervolt for now (core and cache). It seems stable so far, but I'm not 100% sure yet- I'd like to get it up to -.150v but I had some stability issues at that setting. I wasn't 100% sure if it was due to the undervolt, though. I kept the stock power limits intact, 55 watts for Turbo and 80 watts for Short Turbo (IIRC). Right now I limited turbo boost to 3.9ghz across all cores, but plan to raise that to 4.0.

As far as temps, I've been topping out around 87C in Prime95 Small FFTs. I'm running on bone-stock thermal paste and have the fans set on "Gaming" under Command and Control. I suppose I could switch to the custom fan settings and put them at 100% speed at, say, 75C. Wouldn't bother me much because I always use a headset when gaming.

GPU:

I just recently started undervolting in MSI Afterburner. Currently, I'm stable at 1860mhz with a +50 MHz offset on VRAM, and *I think* .970v (I'm away from my laptop right now, can't check). Temps hover around 80C.

Gaming:

I chew through Dark Souls III, probably because there's a framerate cap at 60. Both the GPU and CPU stay below 50% utilization most of the time and temps stay below like 70C.

The Witcher 3 continues to be a true stressor. With all setting on Ultra and Hairworks maxed out, I'm getting around 75-90 FPS with the above settings. With Hairworks bumped down to just Geralt and 2x AA I jump up to about 90-105 FPS. With Hairworks off and everything else maxed I'm solidly above 100 FPS, and this is probably how I'll keep it. Who cares how hair looks? TW3 is the only thing so far that has proven my undervolts to be unstable. I've gotten the GPU down to 1860mhz/.950v and it's stable in Windows and with P95 but it crashed in this game. Suffice to say, this is now my benchmarking tool for stability (I don't want to run Furmark or other programs that might fry my GPU).

DOOM runs so well it's not even worth talking about. Billions of frames per second.

General Software Issues:

I had stability problems with CPUID's HWMonitor so I switched to HWiNFO which has been great so far. Also, something strange happened in the process of uninstalling Intel XTU and installing/using Throttlestop which caused Command and Control to stop working. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling C+C from the manufacturer supplied flash drive, problem solved.

Another very strange thing that I haven't been able to track down: the Bluetooth drivers keep getting uninstalled or something. It has happened twice now, where I go into the Windows settings menu where you turn BT on and that little toggle slider isn't there at all. I simply don't have the option to turn on BT. This means I have to reinstall it. Not sure what's causing this.

General Hardware Issues:

I really, really want to repaste this thing with some Gelid or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I didn't get a chance to buy it from HIDEvolution like I wanted to, and have them repaste it- but ExcaliberPC treated me well too and provided rapid customer service, order processing and shipping. Unfortunately I can't open the laptop up right now due to my job (I'm travelling in Europe for the next few months) so it will have to wait.

Other than it not being as cool as I'd like, I haven't had any other hardware issues. The case is a fingerprint magnet but I guess that's the price we pay for how sexy it looks.

JCordero31 likes this.
  3. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anybody know of a way to control the fans without Command and control? Ive tried smart fan 5 but doesnt work.

4. JCordero31

Reputations:
    Anybody know whats a bbcode?? Im trying to sell 2 machines of mine on here (Clevo P870TM1-G and My Aorus X7 V8) and it wont let me post without it. V8 will be 2700 barebones was used from the date i received it in original post (Aug. 23rd i believe) will come in original box from hid. P870tm1 comes with 2tb (1tbx2 nvme drive) 32gb 2666mhz memory win 10 no bloat 1080 graphics x2 in vapor chamber asking for 5000 or obo (has prima bios Custom starwars) need pics ask i also have it on ebay

User Mistahprpapii

@Donald@HIDevolution

5. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please post a screenshot so we can help you better.

6. JCordero31

Reputations:

nvm it (Aorus) was sold

7. Luka Reeson

Luka Reeson Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I've been using this laptop for 4 months now, I have to say it performs very well, no problems so far. I did undervolt the cpu and the temperatures are around 60C - 70C, depending on the load, but when I play Star Citizen, the temps go up to 80C, but not over. I was thinking buying a cooling pad, but I don't know which one to get. This laptop is 17inch, but it's a little bit wider that 17inch, so if you guys could recommend a solid cooling pad for this laptop, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

JCordero31 likes this.
  8. JCordero31

Reputations:

Cooling pad wont really make a difference 1-2c max. did you attach the feet on the laptop? did you try adjusting the curve on your gpu and undervolting the gpu? if you undervolt the gpu you will see a difference in GPU and CPU temps. Look up mr.fox on youtube on how to use msi afterburner to do so

Also put the Gpu power to adaptive

If you want a recommendation a Topmate C7 is what I used.

9. JCordero31

Reputations:
    Guys Check out the signature link for a P870TM1-G Im selling fully equipped

10. Luka Reeson

Luka Reeson Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I've attached the feet right after I got the laptop. Currently only CPU is undervolted with ThrottleStop, and GPU power is set to adaptive. I will check up mr. fox guide and post the results. When you place your laptop on Topmate C7, does the front anti-skid baffle gets in your way, for example when you are typing?
    EDIT:
    For how much did you lower the GPU voltage?
    EDIT 2:
    Also I've noticed, when I undervolt the GPU, the clock stays at full all the time, even tho there is no load.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018