Aorus X7 DT V8 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by JCordero31, Aug 2, 2018.

1. b3nni

b3nni Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there anything closer to the announcement than the end of the year?

2. Cruizer

Cruizer Newbie

Reputations:
    Great forum, just found, very helpful info, thank you all.

My v8 has a similar problem as a previous post (by Kitzuki). Mine will not power on at all despite full battery (just silent and dark even after resetting cmos and main battery, which is fully charged & power supply appears fine). Looks like another RMA is unavoidable but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts about why it may be happening or anything to try.

The first version i got (a v7) also died within a few weeks but would power on, just no screen, splash, nor booting... A separate problem led to me replacing it with this v8. Really have treated both with kid gloves and did not push the hardware at all so really puzzled with these two occurances.

While a bit worried about design/manufacture/shipping (?) on these, I have only the HIGHEST PRAISE for the Gigabyte warranty & support guys here in USA. They have been extremely understanding, helpful, and supportive with my situation!!!

I always felt Gigabyte/Aorus was a company-above the other huge-corporate-competitiors, and twice the warranty of others shows their dedication to users and gamers like us. Its unfortunate I have these issues but it still seems atypical for my history... my Aero14 is still chugging along perfectly and so did the various Gigabyte mobos and graphics cards I had thru the years. When operating the X7 DT v8 blew me away, everything I wanted in a premium laptop![/QUOTE]

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  4. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the X7 and a P17F v7 and a sabre 17. All excellent, and the best move from a Toshiba fan!

5. Andy120nz

Reputations:
    Thoght i would share this from the throtlestop thread

Andy120nz said:
    This is where im at with the Aorus X7/i7-8850H.

unclewebb reply
    Nice to see a laptop that has decent cooling. 80+ Watts at only 75°C with a steady 42.00 multiplier are the kind of numbers I like to see. Maybe government needs to regulate this industry better and force manufacturers to include a sticker like that on the top of every new laptop. Instead of an ENERGY STAR sticker, how about a PERFORMANCE STAR sticker? This laptop is hereby rated to run at its rated specification without overheating or throttling itself to death. Consumers deserve more from this industry.

Attached Files:

JCordero31 likes this.
  6. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Mine is at 4.0Ghz and it stays around 65C Max

7. Andy120nz

Reputations:
    I traded off cooler for the bit more speed. originally I was about the same as you.

8. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    all I can say at this moment is stay tuned with us......

MiSJAH likes this.
  9. DanielGryphon

DanielGryphon Newbie

Reputations:
    Long time reader, first time poster. [WALL OF TEXT but bear with me it is a good learning experience]

Just a little bit of input from my experience with my X7 DT V6, bought from OC.uk(could not find any stock in the US for the life of me)

Also I know this is the X7 v8 thread but come on, am I to expect much activity on the v6 one?

Allow me firstly to say that, when it works, this is hands down the best laptop in terms of everything, (that lovely eagle on the track pad makes it all come together for me[I do very much love all birds of prey, ergo it does not bother me as mentioned in the thread]).

HOWEVER, the 'when it works' clause stands out for a reason.
    Since I got this laptop on 2017, I have had a sub par experience with it and customer service as a result. Initially, the bundled 'Drivers Update' utility did its one job and prompted to update several drivers including a BIOS update. While I did know better and that it is always best to take an 'if it ain't broke do not fix it' approach to BIOS updates I said to myself: "It is the official utility, right? What could possibly go wrong? Besides I was having an issue with the keyboard macros locking up the entire keyboard(Backlight shut off and unresponsive) requiring a reboot.

Long story short, lo and behold my brand new $3k laptop would not POST, bricked a mere 2 days after getting it.(Yes I reset cmos, disconnected battery etc...). Therefore I contacted Gigabyte US support, opened a ticket and got a response to the issue with an attached RMA form no later than two days after. I promptly filled out the RMA form and replied to the message; two days: no response. Sent again: No response after 3 days.

I called the number of the US Service center and after several attempts I got put through to a guy(cannot remember his name a t this point it has been a while) that told me he would resend the RMA form and he would look into processing it. I specified the nature of my issue and he said that they could indeed reflash the bios for me, so the lack of response is not due to the nature of the situation. He did end up sending the form again, I filled it out, again, and replied with it, again, no response after a couple of attempts, again.

At this point there was a really expensive brick sitting on my desk and I decided to take action. I bought a 25 series SPI programmer and flashed the eeprom on the board with an image downloaded and verified from the official support website, heh, it worked. Thanks for nothing Gigabyte. This was around Feb 2017.

Fast forward to today and I find myself in a predicklement again (no I did not screw it up), my laptop will boot (sometimes) but no video will be output whether it is the LCD or any of the HDMI/DP.
    This was preceded by an ever increasing number of GPU driver crashes up to the point that the laptop would not boot 1 out of 2 times and then 1 out of 3 and so forth. Now it seems to be stuck in this 'boot into OS but no video at all, backlight does come on for a little while during boot then shuts off though.

I am running Win 7, and yes, tried a reinstall, OEM drivers as well as more recent drivers (Newer drivers broke G-Sync for me), repasting(temps were fine everywhere even on VRMs), reseated RAM/SSD/NIC/LVDS cable you name it, checked battery/PS with voltmeter, and nothing out of the ordinary; I even broke out the programmer and ensured that the image in the EEPROM matched the data buffer of the downloaded image. (notice I originally flashed the BIOS image that goes with the proper version of the Embedded Controller FW as quoted by the Aorus support website as well.) All of the later happened of course when I could still get to to show video after a couple attempts to power it on.

I do not know about you, but I am increasingly discouraged to continue doing business with GB as a result of all of this nonsense... My warranty expires on Feb 2019, and I have opened another ticket. At this point I have tried so many things that I do not know what GB could do besides swapping the entire machine...

Let see if I can post an update with good news soon

10. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

maybe the gigabyte rep could help you (in the forum)