***Aorus X7 DT V6 owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by phila_delphia, Apr 28, 2017.

1. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you link the 330w Dell ac adapter you got? It works with the Aorus?

2. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes it works. I picked some 330w Dell/Alienware PSU. I checked out multiple of them, they all got the same connector. The correct number of my model is DA330PM111.

BUT: I´d not bother buy one and try undervolting instead. The Aorus will throttle anyhow as the notebook will not be allowed to draw more than 230w from the PSU.

Best regards

phila

RMXO likes this.
  3. jacktheripper.wang

jacktheripper.wang Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Now when I start to play playerunknown's battlegrounds I also experience throttling...Even when I do no OC in the command center it will throttle eventually.

I plan to replicate what you did here. The throttleStop setup seems straight forward. How do you do Afterburner for GTX 1080? I feel it is not really intuitive. The voltage graph editing thing seems so easy to **** up something terribly.

Darkhan and phila_delphia like this.
  4. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Hi there! You do not have to be afraid of the voltage graph. It IS really simple. You open the graph up and try to find te right balance between Mhz and mV. The following are my actual settings (green line in picture: 1911Mhz @ 900mV).

Unbenannt.PNG

To achive those you drag every point above a certain mV Setting to a flat line (try ctrl or shift while draging one point -> you will not have to set one point individually). This means that above this point the card will not use no mor higher voltage.

I`recommend to start with 1750 Mhz at 875mv (blue line in my picture) and try to see if this value is stable. Be sure that your line is completely flat and do not forget to save your settigns to a certain profile.

This setting should drastically reduce the Power used by the GPU and help the CPU hold their boost. From there you can work on the finetuning.

You can record the usage of your CPU by loging it via throttlestop or some other program. This will help you to find out how your CPU behaves under load.

Darkhan likes this.
  5. jacktheripper.wang

jacktheripper.wang Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I have spent sometime to figure something out.

Initially I think my temperature is a bit outragious. Running 3dmark make GTX 1080 go beyond 90C. I compared my 3dmark temperature graph with others' that I can find and the conclusion is I probably need to do a repast. so I opened up and repasted ICD7 I bought years ago and instantly temp went down. However, player unknowns' battleground is still throttling.

After trying a number of combinations, without any undervoltage, it seems right now using command center CPU OC @4GHZ (this makes 4 core at 3.8Ghz simultaneously) and using afterburner to limit GTX 1080 @ default 1721mhz/912mv point (basically flat out after this point), makes the game run without any throttling. The load is around 90% for GPU and 50-90% for CPU (cpu seems really depends on how many people is around). The game using geforce experience suggested settings(1080p all ultra except 2 settings) can get consistently above 80 fps and max at ~120fps. This is already a huge improvements comparing to what I had a couple of days ago. so thank you for pointing out all these..

I think this is a baseline I can start with for my machine. I tried your 1750mhz/875mv but it was too unstable, I guess probably due to GPU load being close to 100% all the time..I am trying to slowly increase the gpu clock using current 912mv voltage and find the best spot. For cpu I probably leave it for now as the game seems not pushing cpu that hard right now.

Top two lines are cpu and gpu frequency, middle is temp, bottom blue is gpu load, green is cpu load..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    phila_delphia likes this.
  6. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Stability also depends on the game. I found the Witcher 3 and Crysis 3 beeing relatively sensitive to OC but PUBG might be just more interesting in this regard...

After all there is no throtteling for you right now while your clock is still above average! Nice!

You could also work on your CPU via Throttlestop. I can run 4.0 Ghz stable on all cores with -65mV on Core and -10mV on Cache.

This might help you with the temps, as the Aorus OC Center will apply +30mV on Core in the highes Settings (4.0 Ghz / 3.8 all core).

Best regards

phila

7. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Took a heart and liquid metal repasted today. Temps are awesome now. Barely hitting 80°C overclocked and under heavy gaming load.

Best regards

phila

GTVEVO likes this.
  8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone created a hardware mode for the exhaust on the right side? I hate having all that hot air blow into my hand since that's where I use my mouse most often.

9. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Sorry to say that I did not even felt the need to do so. I guess it is because my hand (right handed also) is placed more in the first two thirds alongside the chassis.

Still I`d be interested in any mods that you guys invented.

Best regards

phila

10. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Consider getting a laptop cooler like this one, i have two (one at my place, my girlfriends), I don't notice the heat on the right side when using a mouse and I game a lot w/o any issues.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED3WMTC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1