***Aorus X7 DT V6 owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by phila_delphia, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The system is nearly silent while doing desktop stuff like writing. I did a protocol in a meeting yesterday (Quiet Mode). The fans did not spin up once.

Under Load the system is pretty loud, as one would expect, but i find it bareable.

Best regards

phila

TyroG likes this.
  2. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow! You are so close to the answers I need. I've had my x5 v6 a little longer than you but it took me much longer to figure any of that stuff out ( cntrl +f on afterburner etc)

I did find the stepfan App in the smartmanager folder when I updated command and control. I spent hours trying to get it to work. No curves I changed ever registered. I assumed it was meant for the x7 v6 machines and that was why?
    If there was some way to trick it to think I was a x7 v6?
    Do you mean that the profiles you set up on throttle and xtu can change the fan curve?

Sorry for confusion, I sure wish I could change that auto curve.

(The x5 v6 thread is pretty dead so I hope it's ok to talk here)

3. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    I am sorry if I can not answer your questions very well:

- With stepfan I as well can not change the fan behavoir on my machine. I can not save the profile I set but that`s it I do not know how to apply the custom profile.
    - There must be parameters that tell "stepfan" how to behave -> I guess the fan profiles just start stepfan with different parameters (unfortunately I am the opposite of a pro here)
    - Good news is. Neither XTU nor Throttlestop seem to change the fan profiles: If I, for example, set "Quiet Mode" and exit XTU to start TS -> The profile will remain the same.

Best regards

phila

EDIT: Just found out: you can use the macro keys to change fan profile. This will even work with XTU disabled!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  4. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll download the updated fusion software. Sweet!

5. bijou

bijou Newbie

Reputations:
    I am buying my cousin some new RAM for his X7 V6. According to gentechpc and xoticpc upgrades are available for DDR4-3000. But according to hidevolution this model is only upgradable to DDR4-2666.

Is DDR4-3000 actually supported without down-clocking? I am looking for RAM with the fastest speed timings supported by the BIOS.

(Note: Pls don't say RAM speed is not important and all that. I know.)

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    knibbler likes this.
  6. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Aorus Support is completely laughable!

On May 11th I submitted a ticket due to the throtteling CPU throtteling issues that are related to the PSU that can not sustain the power for CPU and GPU at a time:

My ticket read:
    "Dear Sirs! I was aking for help in your forums, but no one seems to care. I talked about the throtteling issues here: http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming...osing-power-even-plugged-in?p=42725#post42725 The power supply unit for the notebook is just to weak. You can not run it on the specs you set it to, without massive throtteling - onli undervolting GPU and CPU will prevent this. PLEASE - give us a stronger PSU! Best regards Philipp"

Today (six weeks later) I recived the following copy paste reply:
    Update 6/21/2017
    Sorry for the waiting.
    Thank you for choosing X7 DT - Greatest Slim design Gaming Solution. We are honored to receive your feedback.
    According the information you provided. We found the processor is not throttling, 2.7GHz is the stable working frequency designed for the processor. The frequency range between 2.7Ghz to 3.6GHz is designed as Turbo Boost Max Technology(2.0). The maximal frequency will be affected by following reasons:
    Type of workload
    Number of active cores
    Estimated current consumption
    Estimated power consumption
    Processor temperature
    Drive support
    You can find more information from Intel's website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html
    However, Intel defined a limited boost duration to protect processor. The processor can only work in Turbo Boost status for 28Sec., then back to stable working frequency to prevent processor damage. Cause Turbo Boost is actually designed as short time overloading mode.
    Hope the information can solve your doubts. == Original 5/11/2017 ===

I do not know what you guys think, but saying that downclocking to the base clock is not throtteling might be technically right. Still this is not the point as the downlocking can easily be solved by undervolting the GPU. Noone at Aorus ever cared to read what I posted or what info I did provide.

So yeah! Great job!

Best regards

phila

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    There will be a fix for their next model revision. The brand new 1080Max-Q. But I'm not sure Aorus will keep the 230W psu. Maybe Aorus will *upgrade* to 180w psu:rolleyes:

phila_delphia likes this.
  8. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    Haha! Yea! The thing is. The X7 DT V6 is still a nice machine. Adjusted with Throttlestop and Afterburner I can run my machine with 1798 mhz on GPU and 4 Ghz all Core and the 230W will suffice.

Still: It is a pitty that you buy such an expensive thing and have to figure out your things all by yourself.

Best regards

phila

9. jacktheripper.wang

jacktheripper.wang Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was wondering if DT v6 could use v7's 250w adaper, would that help the throttling issuse?

when I play cs go there is hardly any throttling since it only max out cpu. in DOOM however throttling happened once a while..

10. phila_delphia

Reputations:
    I bought a 330w Dell PSU. The problem is the Aorus X7 DT V6 seems not to be allowed to dram more than 230w BIOS-side.

Best way to avoid is to diabale XTU and use Thropttlestop/Afterburner to undervolt and overcklock:

I use 4 Ghz CPU allcore @ -65mV and 4 Gzh Cache @ -15,6mV + GTX 1080 with 1798Mhz at 875mV.

In this combination I do not expreience any throtteling.

Best reagards

phila

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.