Aorus X5 V7, X7 V7, DT X7 all estimated for June release in USA

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 18, 2017.

1. benson881

benson881 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you locking the voltage at all?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, I get better performance just leaving the voltage default or auto, plus it’s very time consuming and a lot of crashing messing with it. But it varies so much, I had created a custom profile with my desktop gtx1080 and was getting better performance using locked voltage steps.

My old gtx1080FE was getting right at 27,200 Graphics score in firestrike. with a 6600K was about 18,800 overall.

I think if I could increase the power limit a custom voltage offset would help.

I’m at a wall as of right now though.

I’d like to modify this bios, and run faster system memory.

3. tps3443

Reputations:
    A lot of laptops suck. They throttle, run hot, fail to run the hardware they have at default or rated speeds.

The Aorus is smashing other gtx1070 laptops, other models cannot hold up..

The Aorus even walks past gtx1080 max Q. And performs on par with most gtx1080. With the right tweaking.

Liquid metal will net you the most performance. Just be careful

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Numbers say otherwise. Aorus laptops tend to run hot out of the box (a lot of gaming laptops do though) but I still consider Aorus laptops unreliable and not well made. Now currently running an Alienware 15 R3 and it came with temps around 75c max on GPU out of the box and after a repaste barely touching 70c. It also runs stock near 1800mhz which is a fair bit higher than reference speeds. So how would an Aorus walk over this when their temps are higher?

I owned various Gigabyt elaptops and tested Aorus laptops, they still go too far in terms of thinness and cutting quality corners. I hope the X8 will be better but it is not going well with Gigabyte as a company.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. tps3443

Reputations:
    I think the average firestrike for score for gtx1070 laptop is like 13,300 overall.
    Do you know what happens when you repaste a Aorus? Nothing! if anything at all. Because it was done right the first time, just like theres no light bleed, or ips glow! Its solid! No flexing or creaking! And this thing is pretty heavy. I'm blown away by build quality. Ive missed what you've said.

Ive read so much about throttling AlienWare laptops. what you are describing was what I was afraid of most above all when getting any laptop. And I just have not experienced any of it. You wouldn't need to repaste such a device. And you shouldn't have to..

I'm running higher overclocks. And my GPU runs even cooler than yours.. I stay right at 66C while 4K gaming, and overclocked. If I game at 1080P I stay right at 58C

I'm running faster than virtually every other GTX1070 laptop out there. Including yours! The only laptops that can surpass are usually MXM and using liquid metal.

I'm not temperature limited. I'm out of power lol.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You said yourself you liquid metal would be beneficial :D. I tested various aorus laptops and reviews state the same that they cannot hold turbo clocks. Its true alienware had thermal paste issues when they launched but most of them assembled now are great. Also how are your cpu numbers. Pretty much any laptop can cool gpu's well. I run at 68/69c at 1800mhz while it does not sound like a vacuum cleaner, which is something also all aorus laptops do. Gigabyte skimps on any part within a laptop, from battery to chassis. Hope for you that yours will hold out, i had to replace mine within mere months for 3 times.tested 4 aorus and gigabyte laptops in total and they never got it right. So whats your firestrike then. Specially for you i will OC mine and do a run tonight.

7. tps3443

Reputations:

Repasting is not beneficial if any at all on a Aorus. Yes I still stand by that. You may get 3% difference, which is margin of error from computer to computer.

And why yes, Liquid metal is very beneficial! “This is totally different”

If you think that you can just go in, and use liquid metal like thermal gel good luck. I take way more precautions, including using special tape around the die in the PCB area. And sealing everything off. And painting the liquid metal on, after lapping the copper contact area.

^ This is not a simple repaste!

To clarify again, a repaste is not beneficial. Liquid metal is beneficial on anything just about!

My posts are not fishy. I will post up photos. I do get 16,260 or so in firestrike, and I have broken 20,000 graphics I have posted links. And I will again.

Ive broken records with a couple video cards, my average pc part ran much much faster than the average man, but sometimes just average.. but that’s ok, I was in this PC game years before we even had pci E video cards. A lot of other people have been to. It’s nothing spectacular. And I’m not a magician!

I’ve been doing this a while. I don’t lie, and I say it how it is.

This is my first laptop. I bought on research. And also by getting a good deal. I’ve built so many computers and caused degradation on 1 to many cpu’s.

We have what we have. And we use what we use. I just said mine is faster than yours ;).. not to start a argument . 1 of the main reasons I bought this was because what a handful of people have squeezed out of them. So I followed suit! And a few people “ actually only you” don’t believe me..

A P870tm1 has bested 22,000+ graphics with a gtx1070. Is breaking 20,000 that tough with a soldered on gtx1070? No it’s not! Just because you have not achieved it with your 15” R3 does not mean I can’t with my Aorus.

So just for you, I will run firestrike and best 20,000 graphics.

Then I will post up some temperatures of my gpu temps using Precision X OSD. Or a video? What do you prefer? 1080P? Or 4K

There’s also another member on here who is passed 20,000 graphics to. I think he actually got 20,400 with a V6

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Repasting an Aorus certainly helps. It helped me when I was using one to keep its turbo boosts for longer and I did not need to underclock the CPU to prevent it from throttling. Aorus laptops are not suddenly magically much better than all others, reviews say otherwise, my experience say otherwise and unfortunately they also RMA far too quickly.

You dont need to explain the difficulties regarding liquid metal to me, there is a reason why I do not use it. It also affects copper even though not as severe as alluminum, it is getting inside and if one is unlucky it will still ruin your heatsink.

I dont care about the time you use PC's, thats not a factor. Same as it is not a factor I was overclocking Pentium 1 PC's back in the days as a kid with switching jumpers by hand and one of the first people using 3D accelerator cards. It's just not relevant to this laptop.

Facts, out of the box Aorus laptops do not run more quickly than others. The graphic scores in EACH review are similar to others 1070GTX laptops in the same pricerange and thickness range.

Breaking the 3Dmark score of 20000 with a 1070 can only be done if you can get the card running around 2100 with the desktop version (a bit less cuda cores) or 20025~2050 with the laptop version. You can get a bit more points if you lower some settings in the Geforce driver suite and thus lowering graphics quality. The thing is, it would be possible cooling wise, since in most laptops its around 70c only and desktop boards run stock at 80c. But the power circuit is smaller for most laptops out there including the Aorus and ALienware laptops, the MXM boards are available with more power phases hence someone could break 22000 points. Just luck of the draw and the right amount of power phases.

And faster than mine? Is it a pissing contest? I never showed any numbers and I have not run 3Dmark on my laptop yet. Did so on my old 6700HQ and got just short of 20000points (graphic score).

edit: just did a run with my GPU running at 1949mhz. These are the results https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/25617933

This link is with an external 1070GTX on my old laptop. GPU running in that one around 2050mhz https://www.3dmark.com/fs/11413715

Jared_T likes this.
  9. tps3443

Reputations:

I don’t get it. This is my last run. I’m already there at like 1,974. So your desktop gpu is not holding boost anywhere near 2,050

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/25578848?

This is the moral of the story.

I love my laptop! My experience had been very satisfying so far. I’ve been using Gigabyte for years. And I’ve always had normal working products. So, why would I not buy the Aorus?

I’ll get some links up by tonight, and pics of temps. Your clock speed does not need to be 2,000mhz+. Laptops have about 10% more cuda cores. And 15% more rop pipes

As for problems? Any laptop breaks.. I bought it because I recognized it was fast!

If something goes wrong, I will go through warranty! I’m not concerned about if something is going to happen until it does..

Don’t worry I’m honest, and when I’m done working, I’ll post my results again. I’ll try to get it even higher than 16,257 overall!

My GPU temps are as I say! Just like my benchmark scores! I don’t lie. I’ll show you whatever because I know I’m just stating factual events

How do you want me to show you the temps? Take a pic of OSD in game?

10. IndyPilot80

IndyPilot80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. Finally got my X5 V7 a week or so ago and I couldn't be happier. This thing is a monster.

I do have to ask, those of you that own one, how is the backlight bleed on yours? I understand with these panels a little backlight bleed in unavoidable. But, particularly around the bottom bezel, it's fairly obvious.

Mine: https://i.imgur.com/rF7oVtg.jpg

[​IMG]

Anyone else?