]]>

Aorus X5 V7, X7 V7, DT X7 all estimated for June release in USA

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 18, 2017.

1. polins

polins Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you benson881. Indeed I'm a bit lost in buying a new laptop. I was pretty much decided to buy the 17,3" MSI GT73 EVR Titan Pro with the GTX1080 and i7 7700HQ for 2200€, but then I started to read that the 7700HQ would probably bottleneck the GTX1080. Therefore, I looked for the same model but with the 7820HK, but it soars up to around 3000€ (it also features more ram and SSD which I don't need at all, or at least not at that high price because I could change it myself). I wouldn't mind paying 2.400€ for that model with the 7820HK and the GTX1080 with same ram and SSD, but 3000€ is probably too much.

After all of this I have started to look for some alternatives with this processor, and besides Alienware I've found this Aorus that looks quite good in general terms. I guess the MSI is better in thermals because of the bigger headsinks, but it is also heavier and once in Japan I will probably have to carry it everyday to the university. I kinda prefer a 17" laptop, but if I got a 15.6" one I could always buy a bigger screen for home and connect the laptop through HDMI.

One of my concerns with the Aorus are temps, and also the problems some of the people here seem to have had. I know any laptop can have a problem, but since it looks so thin I am worried I'm going to suffer from overheating (which probably wouldn't be a problem with the MSI).

What would you do?

Thanks!

2. benson881

benson881 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went for the aorus because I travelled a lot. Size and weight its brilliant. Coming from a P771dm-g it's lighter and quieter. Thermal are really good. I have undervolted mu cpu and gpu (read a few posts back) I've just ordered some thermal grizzly kryonaut as I always thinks it's worth repasting a factory job.
    Speed wise it is rapid. Yeah it's not a 1080 but that's a lot more money and the 1070 is a brilliant card!!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    People who own the aorus x5 v7, how do you like it and are you happy with it? I just got mine in from amazon today and it was already used. It was new in box and I didnt notice that the void seal was pealed up before I cut it open. I plugged it in and turned it on and it logged in automatically to someone elses account. Anyways I contacted amazon about it and they are sending me another one and I return this one when I get the new one. But I have not had much time to mess with it yet. Its still reinstalling windows. Does the laptop get hot? Does the fans ever shut off? Can you hear the HDD spinning all the time? If theres ways to fix this please share. But other that hows the batter life while just web browsing? It seems like a nice built laptop. I will mess with it more when windows is finished. Thanks.

4. benson881

Reputations:
    1. Yes and no depends on undervolt etc
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. Fix what?
    5. Rubbish

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Fix as in the hard drive noise and fan noise.. what is rubbish, how much time is that?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. benson881

Reputations:
    Hard drive noise nothing really
    Fan noise put it on eco mode
    Browsing deoends on brightness, res, cpu speed. I reckon about an hour and a half

7. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you. Granted this laptop is getting sent back i hear the hdd spinning pretty loudly.

8. benson881

Reputations:
    Can hardly here mine at all. Slight clicking noe and again in a quiet room.

9. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good to know. Im kind of getting a feel for the one thats being sent back.

10. Crash525

Crash525 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone swapped out the hdd for an ssd and saw better battery life?