Aorus X5 V7, X7 V7, DT X7 all estimated for June release in USA

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 18, 2017.

1. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jsstp24n5 and steberg like this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Do we have anything on the screens? I wish the Aorus X5 had 1080p 120Hz and 4K as its options. The 1620p display is not great.

CedricFP likes this.
  3. laserbullet

Reputations:
    There's no new info on any of the specs that I'm aware of. It makes me curious what took them so darned long if nothing has changed, they've lost sales to competitors by being so late to the game.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Might be difficulties in manufacturing that don't translate directly into specs, like a problem in cooling.

5. laserbullet

Reputations:
    Vapor chambers? </wishful thinking>

6. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unlikely in something that thin but I can still dream.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. bwolmarans

bwolmarans Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll sell you mine for a great price .... and yes, the 120hz is pretty nice, even for a fallout 4/ gtav / ghost recon player like myself, it has spoiled me good

9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Pm me ur specs and offer I could be interested lol.

10. laserbullet

Reputations:
    While we're all dreaming, here's my vision for a Coffee Lake/Volta x5 DT v8. Listen up, Aorus!

-Move all 4 RAM slots to the top side of the motherboard to make room on the other side of the motherboard. Sadly that means they're not accessible by removing the back cover. This is a big pain for user upgrades, but given how infrequently RAM needs to be accessed, I'd make the trade to free up space on the other side of the motherboard.

-Ditch the HDD space, move two M.2 slots to approximately where it resided.

-Move the card reader and headphone/mic ports to the front, utilizing the cavity where the HDD was previously. On the left side, move the power port to where the DP is now, then progressing down towards the front you'd go ethernet, DP, USB C, and USB C. The right side would get a VGA port where the card reader was, otherwise the right side remains unchanged from what the v7 layout appears to be. Compared to the v7, my proposed layout goes from USB A (x4) to USB A (x2), VGA (x1), but otherwise contains all the same ports. You all laugh, but I have randomly been a hero because I happened to be the only one in the room with a laptop (Lenovo Y410P currently) containing a VGA port. That leaves us with USB A (x2), USB C (x2, with TB3), ethernet (x1), HDMI (x1), DP (x1), headphone/mic, VGA (x1), and a card reader (based on v7 pictures here). Everyone will want their own layout in terms of what ports are on the left and right sides, but the overall selection is plenty generous, in my opinion. I would also readily concede the VGA port to pretty much anything else, though.

-Have the CPU/GPU/VRAM/PCH, and other heat generating parts right in the middle, with big ol' heatsinks and/or vapor chambers. Make the heatsinks big and heavy! I'll take the heft if it means better cooling, with no second thoughts whatsoever. The footprint and thickness of the laptop don't need to change to accommodate this, thanks to moving the RAM and removing the HDD. Space along the periphery would be for other miscellaneous discrete parts such as USB 3.1 controllers and wireless cards (while such parts are still necessary, at least).

-Put five fans all along the back, and go from the current six heat pipe design up to seven heat pipes. Because the left and right fans have two vents, that's seven vents total, one for each of the seven heat pipes to terminate at individually. As with the main component heatsink area, go the heavy metal route with fins at each exhaust vent. The forward hinge design and gives you plenty of space to make those fins big. Keep the wavy look it has going in back with a slight dip between each fan.

-Point out all that cooling in the marketing, then put as much overclocked CPU/GPU power in as is thermally feasible. And include an appropriate power brick, don't make people nervous by shipping power bricks rated for less wattage than your system can draw, as some Aorus units have done. If you can fit a GTX xx80 in, great, but don't do it if it'll throttle. If you stick to a GTX xx70 with good overclocking headroom, you can still write adverts pointing out how it beats other GTX xx80 equipped laptops due to thermal throttling (see: Razer Blade Pro). High CPU overclocks practically market themselves. Put your hardware livestream engine to work in some of your benchmark examples if desired, so you can show yourselves beating other laptops while you're streaming and they're not.

-Allow G keys on the left column to work as modifer keys to fire macros. This would allow you to have the "G1" key + the "Q" key be a macro, "G2" + "Q" be a different macro, "G3" + "Q" be yet another macro, "G4" + "Q" another macro still, and "G5" + "Q" a fifth macro assigned to the "Q" key. This would give you an option to have 45 macros on available on the QAZWSXEDC keys in a single profile. That's an incredible amount of macro depth without the need to cycle profiles or move your left hand away from the WASD area. Retain the option for a G key to be a direct macro, and not a modifier key, of course. I would use this depth for tons of preloaded chat messages, spell combos, etc. The macros that I'd need the fastest would stay on my mouse buttons, personally.

-Replace the pause/break key with an insert key. Put pause/break/print screen/sys req behind home/end/pg up/pg dn, accessible via function. The keyboard is perfect other than these nitpicks, especially with the RGB lighting, so that you can give it a more subdued look or gamertastic look.

-FHD 144 Hz Gsync touchscreen and UHD 60 Hz Gsync touchsceen screen options.

-Built in webcam should be FHD, with a good microphone.

-You've got some good software, but there are holes to fill. The biggest standout to me is your overclocking software. People shouldn't be getting better GPU overclocks with MSI afterburner on your laptops, for instance. That's just embarassing. I get the need to make sure users can't damage their machines, but right now you've hobbled people too much.

-Because I am in fact that bored thanks to being a victim of air travel delays, here's an internal diagram of my imaginary beast, as if you opened its bottom panel (which is why left and right appear reversed), compared to the x5 v6. Fear my incredible art skills.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everyone can now go ahead and tell me why my armchair understandng of thermodynamics makes my vision impossible. :D