Aorus X5 V7 specs for 3 SKUs detailed and up for preorder at overclockers.co.uk

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One thing that should help is the continuing reduction in components. The Z370 chipset, for instance, will be baking in Intel wifi, so that's one less component to power. Plus then you don't need to worry about getting some POS Qualcomm or Killer card.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you can stand gaming at home but need professional capabilities on the go, a powerful desktop for gaming at home coupled with a light efficient laptop/tablet might be the way to go. Even if the professional tasks require a lot of processing power, they likely aren't terribly affected by network latency, so running them remotely might be an option.

3. laserbullet

Reputations:
    My dream until I saw eGPUs aren't where I want yet was something like that. Find the lightest quad-core notebook with no GPU, then turn it into a desktop at home with an eGPU. But for the cost of those eGPU docks, you may as well build a desktop. I've got enough old games which run fine on an IGP to keep me entertained on the road, but I'll be in hotel rooms five weekends out of the next six, the temptation to have a 1060/1070 with me is strong. I don't think I'll jump on an eGPU until they're able to function as a complete dock and laptop PSU. IE, you sit at your desk and plug your laptop into the eGPU, and that charges it, provides the GPU, keyboard, monitor, etc. all from one connection. A couple iterations of Thunderbolt from now, maybe that can become a reality. I would even accept a proprietary connector, ala Alienware, if it could do all that.

While I'm continuing to idly wish for things in this thread, give me a 16:10 screen, too. :D

4. Palespartan

Palespartan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I do already have a desktop with great performance but I do travel as well and also having something that can go to lan parties is nice. Figured I would try to kill all the birds with one stone. But definitely not going to be my primary gaming rig. Just wanted to go as far as I could to get the most life out of it. (current macbook pro on at least 5 years now.)

5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Right now there's not really a stone for all those birds. I have been hearing rumors of a massive increase in small battery energy density for years and nothing has actually come of it yet. Until then if you're gaming you pretty much have to pick how much you want your outlet-hopper to weigh.

6. laserbullet

Reputations:
    Don't worry, as soon as battery tech finally ends its long stagnation, we'll quickly move on to ramping up device power consumption to completely negate the potential battery life gains. :D

7. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I like that your pessimism exactly matches mine.

8. laserbullet

Reputations:
    If this ever makes it to market and turns out to be decent, it'd be a great way to sacrifice battery life occasionally. :D

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I'm gonna give "makes it to market" 30% probability and "turns out to be decent" much less. Those hinges scare me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.