Aorus X5 V7 specs for 3 SKUs detailed and up for preorder at overclockers.co.uk

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Seems like Optimus is becoming less common, so likely better throttling will be the way forward.

2. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Better throttling is probably the better technology to invest in anyway. Even if you have Optimus, during those times when you are using the discrete GPU, you don't want its clock to be running higher than it needs while you're on battery.

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Totally agreed. I'd rather do away with Intel graphics entirely on machines with a discrete GPU.

4. laserbullet

Reputations:
    I'm surprised Intel didn't already do that with their unlocked CPUs. Who's going to design a laptop with an unlocked CPU and use the IGP? Even on desktop CPUs there's barely a point, though for system builders it's handy if they bought a defective GPU or something I guess.

5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Even then, they've still got some display, just super low res.

6. Palespartan

Palespartan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If there is a way to throttle the GPU to be as low power as the igpu on an intel chip that would be awesome (even if the performance hit is as sever) but it seems that somehow even just idling any of the gtx cards still draws a decent amount of power. But I could see if they can get the GPU to throttle enough in 2d work to draw very little power like an igpu that would be the best possible solution. Looking forward to a future like that.

7. laserbullet

Reputations:
    If they're dropping Optimus, hopefully, that means they're close to such power efficiency already, or at least making that a serious goal. Otherwise, they'd probably work towards getting Optimus and Gsync together, but you haven't heard a peep about that.

8. Palespartan

Reputations:
    My biggest worry about that is that it seems that all the gaming laptops are obsessed with the best gaming experience possible and leave out the practical stuff which is fine for some of the huge gaming notebooks out there where portability is going from one desk to another and being able to plug in all the time. But something like the aorus is compact enough where using it as a regular laptop anywhere any time not being tied to an outlet is something that should be thought about. I mean in the v6 you basically cant get a bigger battery as it is its almost at the legal limit yet it still seems to get only 3.25 hours on wifi. So there is some serious work that needs to be done to keep that 1070 from drawing so much power.

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

Right now there are trade-offs to get performance, portability or battery life out of a system. I suspect it will be a while before there's something out there that's got long battery life and XX70/XX80 performance that isn't massive.

10. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Actually right now even the big laptops don't have good battery life. And since the legal limit for a battery in a laptop is 99wh (aorus is 94wh) the size of the machine seems to be irrelevant in this case it all seems to come down to the fact that they cant get the 1070 to idle low enough to not draw a decent amount of power and the other option being optimus doesn't work with G-Sync which it seems all of the major manufactures seem to be obsessed with putting on to anything with more than 1060. Which I must say I know that I am in the 1% as someone who would want to buy such an over the top gaming laptop and then want to use it in a professional setting too but I just hope to get the best of both worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.