Aorus X5 V7 specs for 3 SKUs detailed and up for preorder at overclockers.co.uk

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by laserbullet, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palespartan

Palespartan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think that's basically where I'm at too just got to wait and see what we can get.

2. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It'd also be great if Intel could take a page from Nvidia's book and just unify its mobile and desktop line somewhat. Just give us the full-fat desktop processors already, the only reason more people aren't doing that already is because to make it work you need to delid, which then voids the warranty. What notebook can handle a good OC on a 6820HK/7820HK that can't also handle a delidded 6700K/7700K? Just delid the desktop versions and ship them off to OEMs.

Edit: wrong thread...and wrong website! But yeah! Do that Intel!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Palespartan likes this.
  3. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Well I might be mistaken but I think the IPC is almost the same between them and they only really turn the frequency down and make sure they're fairly power efficient because the difference between a 45w and 65w let alone a 90w chip is insane to try to cool in smaller form factor. At least that is what I assume. But I believe that if you took a 7820hk and ran a 7700k at the same clocks that they would be pretty similar performance. I could be wrong though.

4. laserbullet

Reputations:
    The 7820HK is a physically smaller die at 28mm x 42mm (1176 mm²), versus the 7700k which is 37.5mm x 37.5mm (1406.25mm²), so unless they're using more advanced manufacturing techniques to fit the same number of transistors in a smaller area, the 7820HK just can't carry the same punch. Otherwise, you'd see laptop manufacturers rushing to sell preconfigured 7820HK 5GHz machines, as 7700Ks can commonly hit 5GHz on air. I suspect a 5GHz 7820HK is close to impossible.

5. Palespartan

Reputations:
    I knew it was a definitely a lot different when i realized how many "pins" it had. And I definitely know that oc headroom is way off considering the fastest 6820hk I saw was 4.5ghz at 1.45v. But (though I can't remember where) I thought i saw a comparison of a 6700k clocked down to almost the same point as a 6600hq and saw similar performance.

(if I can find it again I will post it here.)

6. laserbullet

Reputations:
    As much as Aorus charges for X series laptops, I would expect vapor chambers and above average TIM (priority more on long lasting TIM than high performance). That should be enough to hold a good CPU and GPU overclock at reasonable thermals, which then justifies using overclockable parts in the first place. It's a good setup for consumers who don't know better (IE, people who don't even know what TIM is), while still leaving room for the diehards to throw in liquid metal or whatever. With Acer throwing down the performance gauntlet in the 15" sector (their forthcoming Triton 700 has a 1080), this is something Aorus can easily do to keep up. Plus vapor chambers us less space than heat pipes, so you get more internal room to work with.

7. Palespartan

Reputations:
    I don't know for sure but I don't know any laptops that use vapor chambers and if I had to guess I would say its because of the very slight risk of a laptop that gets carried around every day and bumped into things possibly rupturing one of the chambers (very unlikely to happen I know). The TIM is the same story too especially when you offer a 2 year warranty you want to make sure that the thermal solution will last seemingly forever rather than just something that might shed a couple of degrees but need to be changed out often (leaving the power users to replace it themselves if they want that extra performance). And when talking about the Triton 700 the 1080 was just in the engineering sample but it sounded like that will not make it to production but only time will tell on that one.

8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are other reasons not to have Optimus, like Optimus does not like VR headsets so if they're pushing VR compatibility it would at least be disabled out of the box.

9. Palespartan

Reputations:
    Actually I didn't even think about VR. That does make sense in my opinion nvidia needs to figure out a way to build in a way of running in discrete mode or hybrid mode so that we aren't reliant on everyone having to do what Clevo did to add an MUX switch (which I imagine is just an extra display signal that comes from the cpu instead so that it can run non G-Sync. Just my 2 cents though. And honestly if Aorus can figure out how to get the 1070 to throttle down enough to get 4.5-5 hours of battery out of it it would be perfect in my opinion.

10. laserbullet

Reputations:
    I wouldn't figure a vapor chamber would be any more delicate than a heatpipe? I don't hear about heatpipe ruptures being a problem, so I don't figure vapor chambers would be any more problematic. There are plenty of quality TIMs that will outlast the laptop, the big key is just to not use crap. When people repaste, temperature drops shouldn't be this dramatic. I think it would be possible, albeit expensive, to get a single 1080 in a 15" form factor using such quality components, though Acer might be waiting for Volta to do it due to Pascal being such a hot architecture. The X5 V5 was cooling 120W worth of Maxwell parts without high-end cooling, and the V7 has 110W Pascal part. Get a little fancier and you should be able a 150W 1080 in there. A real feat of engineering would be getting all 250W of a 1080 ti or Titan XP in there, or their Volta equivalents. I know TDP isn't actually that simple, but the point is that there's headroom with existing designs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.