Aorus X5 MD

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by sicily428, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laserbullet

laserbullet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe the only significant differences are the GPU and resolution. The X5 MD is 4k only, while the X5 v7 has 4k and 2880x1620 options. Then there will probably be some different SKUs that have more RAM, bigger SSDs, and so forth. In the video I just posted, the Aorus rep claimed they've been working hard getting the cooling right, but if you look at the Linus video in the OP, the design is basically the same from as far back as the X5 v5.

TyroG likes this.
  2. Palespartan

Palespartan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I heard today that the 1080mq can be brought down to a TDP as low as 90w if this is true doesn't it have the potential to run cooler than the 1070 even? And I'm not sure but could that mean less power draw than the 1070 too? Maybe even more battery life assuming it scales down to when idling too? Just curious as to what you guys think.

3. Tristram13

Tristram13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 1080 max-q supposedly at 90w is a little over half that of the non-max-q 1070

The x5v6 gets max of 4 hours on battery so maybe the x5 md might get 5-6 hours?

*crosses fingers*

4. laserbullet

Reputations:
    Hopefully you'll be able to increase the max TDP on these chips with a BOIS hack or some other method. If they're the best binned chips, then with full power, they should be able to accomplish great things for those that are okay with the fan noise.

5. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a new laptop and my choice is between this one and the Aero 15, don't know if I should wait ...

6. Palespartan

Reputations:
    I didn't realize the notebook version of the 1070 still pulled nearly 180w... Damn I don't even need the gpu power over the 1070 I just want a battery to make it through the plane flight from sfo to jfk... is that too much to ask. lol. Hopefully they will have some battery battery life on the v7 and i don't have to wait all the way into winter for this thing.

7. Palespartan

Reputations:
    this will destroy the aero in everything except for battery life. but also probably going to be about $1k more so there are trade offs. Also expected launch is q4 so you will have to wait until winter or the aero 15 is available now. I guess it really depends on what your needs are the two could both be great machines for different applications.

8. laserbullet

Reputations:
    ==
    Spot on. They're very different machines, and I don't think either is a bad choice. However, in this video Aorus claims the X5 MD will launch in Summer, which contradicts the information Linus Tech Tips received, so ultimately it's tough for anyone to know with any amount of certainty when the X5 MD will release. Though given Aorus' ability to stick to a deadline, Q4 wouldn't surprise anyone. :rolleyes:

Jared_T likes this.
  9. NewMan4Life2010

NewMan4Life2010 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm just waiting patiently for this Aorus X5 MD. I sold my Dell 9560 XPS and sent back my Aero 15. I'm also waiting on the new Intel Wi-Fi card.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

10. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Why did you send back your AERO 15?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.