AORUS Gaming Notebooks with Pascal, RGB LED keyboards - GTX 1060/1070/1080 13.9"/15.6"/17.3"

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. GameheadBrock

GameheadBrock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Just received my FHD Aorus x7 v6 last night. I was curious so I wanted to mention that the 1080 IPS display can be overclocked. I was running it at 100Hz without issue. Display looks great, no light bleed at all. Computer feels very premium, thinner than I was expecting. The keyboard light effects are a lot of fun, but I'm just a bit disappointed that because they're RGB, it can't produce pure white very well. That's an extremely small nitpick though, and otherwise I haven't really found anything I can knock it on besides the strange covered (disabled?) ports.

I'm really happy that it seems to be in perfect condition because I took a chance and ordered an open box from newegg.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    GTVEVO likes this.
  4. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mind doing a full review of it? Gonna be pulling the trigger on this one pretty soon :)

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

5. Jared_T

Reputations:
    Also hows the sound quality of the 3.5mm jacks? Aorus is updating their new kaby lake refreshes with an ESS Sabre DAC. So if the quality of the current audio solution is still perfectly fine then i wont be holding out till the refresh is released

6. GameheadBrock

GameheadBrock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been pretty busy so I haven't used it extensively yet. I'll list a few things I have noticed so far:

I have been able to play games with a stable -110mV underclock of the processor. I could probably push it further but I haven't tried. Fan noise is great, very quite playing Overwatch at 100 FPS (love that screen OC) epic settings with fan speed set to normal. I noticed that if I turn fan speed to 'Quiet' the hardware must instantly throttle because I drop down to like 30 or less frames as soon as I change it.

I purchased an open box and discovered why the unit was returned: One of the speakers, a sub I think, is blown and buzzes at certain frequencies at higher volumes. I have been able to minimize this by playing with the equalizer, but it is still present. Not a deal breaker for me since it is usually plugged into speakers or I'm using headphones. Even without it buzzing I don't feel like the speakers are very good. Not the strongest part of the laptop.

I'm no audiophile so I don't think I can give a very good review of the 3.5 audio out of the unit, but it sounds fine when I plug it into my speakers. I noticed I have to turn the volume up higher than I did with my desktop to get the same volume from my speakers. Most likely it falls into average category, though again I am not a very good person to ask.

Through undervolting and turning the brightness down, I was able to get about 4 hours of youtube out of the battery, which is not bad imo.

I got a lot of network drops initially. Like every 15 minutes my wifi would just derp. After I uninstalled the Killer software and just used windows to install the driver, I was able to use it for 5 or 6 hours and didn't get dropped once. I recommend doing this right away.

I'll run a 3D Mark or whatever other benchmark you'd like me to run when I get a chance. Hopefully this week sometime.

7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    selvedge, Jared_T and hmscott like this.
  8. Jared_T

Reputations:
    No rush mate! Thoughts on the build quality? Screen hinge tension/wobble and keyboard quality/tactiliy?

Btw: strange that the killer network suite issue is popping up so much. Is your windows post anniversary update?

9. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they skipped the x3 though and only added it to the x5 & x7. lame.

10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, you're right. Well, that is totally lame, yes, as the X3 is the most interesting option (rather portable with 7820HK) to actually expand on with external graphics given that it only has 1060 to begin with. I'm depressed now.

Whatever happened with Alienware 13's offering HK CPU's? I'm convinced the top configuration had it a month or two ago, but then it got removed apparently. The new Kaby Lake HK's don't seem to be an option either on the 13's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.