Aorus 17 X, 2080 Super Intel gen 10

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by GTVEVO, Apr 3, 2020.

1. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't know but the older system I have doesn't use battery power substitution due to the PSU not being sufficient. In theory it should work just fine but prob won't know for sure until you try it.

2. mickhaelya

mickhaelya Newbie

Reputations:
    Lurker here, and I'm set on getting the Aorus 17X. My only question now is: i7 or i9 if all I'm going to do is game and type stuff?

Based on what I find online, there doesn't seem to be a substantial difference unless you're a content creator.

3. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically yes for gaming the i7 will be perfect 80%-90% of the time depending upon the games you play. In games that require a very high amount of CPU or if you wish to run higher frame rates it helps to have the unlocked i9. Aorus is usually more forgiving with their power configurations though even with the locked cpus.

4. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still haven't heard anything about stock, anyone else?

5. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HID has a firm date: July 20. Xotic chat rep claims they have (or had - when I engaged in chat a few days ago) stock now.

GTVEVO likes this.
  6. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @h2knacho Can you shed some light on this “Graphic Switcher” feature? Is it just Gigabyte’s name for Optimus?

7. h2knacho

h2knacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m not sure I understand what you mean with the graphics switcher feature.

Is there a link you can post, I’ll do some digging for you in the laptop to test...but need to know what I’m testing.

Edit: okay I see it posted on the Gigabyte website. I’m still not quite sure, but it does sound like Optimus in similar laptops.

Does anyone have a laptop that includes Optimus? This laptop only shows RTX 2080 Super in the Device Manager under Display Adapters.

Also, I know Eluktronics promotes a MUX switch that is activated via BIOS. It’s basically a way to only use the onboard video for battery conservation, instead of the dedicated graphics card (2080S) for full power/performance. I’ll have to tinker with it. I think Optimus does this on-the-fly? Not 100% sure, but I think they are different.

Edit 2: I guess it’s their name for Optimus...see image from Gigabytes promo. Any way you’d like me to test it? Seems fairly straight forward. You can switch between onboard graphics or dedicated graphics via the Aorus Control Center software.

Image link -> https://ibb.co/wBNknmB

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  8. h2knacho

h2knacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Someone please correct me if I am missing something here, but this was part of the reason I chose the i7. The other reason is that I am generally happy with having a slightly less-than-best CPU, as long as I’ve maxed the GPU available.

The i9 is faster faster on the base clock, and only faster on the boost clock if can keep the thermals down, which is tough in a laptop. Maybe using liquid metal would allow this. I may actually try liquid metal in the future, but decided to avoid it this go-around due to worrying if I would have to repaste often. Time between repasting liquid metal is still debated, but the results seem pretty awesome.

The i9 will reach 5.3ghz only if the thermals are below 65*C. Not gonna happen in a laptop. It will reach 5.2ghz from 65*C-85*C. Very achievable, but if goes over 85*C, it clocks at 5.1ghz. The base clock is 2.4ghz.

The i7 reaches 5.1ghz. Maybe I’m missing thermal limits on this one, but I don’t see any. The base clock on this is 2.3ghz.

They both have the same amount of cache, cores, threads, and TDP (45W).

The thermals I was getting with my i7-10875h were 80-85*C with the Gelid thermal paste. Keep in mind, this is a brand new laptop, with no time to collect dust in the fans and heatsinks.

The price difference is like $600. You’re looking at about a 100mhz (~4%) difference, maybe higher if you can get your thermals in check in a tough environment.

link to i9 briefing -> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i9-10980HK-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.452737.0.html

link to i7 briefing ->
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-10875H-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.458968.0.html

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Lolaholic likes this.
  9. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone know the power draw at the wall for this laptop.

10. GTVEVO

GTVEVO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The cost difference is rather stupid and always has been in the laptop generations, its the only way to get actual desktop performance of a K processor though. The i9 is unlocked (HK) so it will NOT throttle unless the temp hits the thermal limit set with in the bios which is usually set close to the CPU thermal limit of 100c. The i7 (h) is locked so you will NOT be able to control the clocks outside of the power profiles allowed within the bios and their profiles meaning it will clock down on its own outside your control.

Higher CPU speed = higher frame rates if the GPU has any performance headroom left and the game has proper optimization.

h2knacho likes this.