Aorus 15 RTX2070 with 21340 firestrike graphics score

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by xaqutor, Feb 1, 2019.

1. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even though it doesn’t have GSync is screen tearing noticeable with the 144hz screen?
    I’m really hesitant to buy a new laptop without GSync otherwise this laptop would be pretty high on my list of laptops to buy.
    I hear people say you really don’t need GSync when you have this high a refresh rate but those are only the people that don’t have a GSync screen!
    I’m really a big fan of GSync and think it’s one of the best things to happen to screens in a long time. I’m trying to convince myself I doesn’t matter.

piteris2 likes this.
  2. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually thought the Aorus was bigger.
    I ordered the legion y740 15 at the same size pretty much. Mainly for the dedicated mouse click buttons and no number pad (clearly trying to recreate the feel plus its design resembles it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Joshva

Joshva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I love the AW13R3 so much, i'm not going to sell it. I'm just going to keep it around for eye candy :)

Re the Aorus, how is fan noise for light tasks? mine arrives tomorrow btw

4. Joshva

Reputations:
    Mine arrived today.

The is not great. It is not bright and the color reproduction is not great.

The model is the LGD05E8 (LP156WFG-SPB2), which is a medium range panel. Normally used in budget laptops. It is not as good as the Razer 15

Here is a review of it: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/21758-asus-tuf-fx505-review/

Panel HardwareID: LG Philips LGD05E8 (LP156WFG-SPB2);
    Coverage: 98% sRGB, 69% NTSC, 74% AdobeRGB;
    Measured gamma: 1.9;
    Max brightness in the middle of the screen: 260 cd/m2 on power;
    Contrast at max brightness: 640:1
    White point: 7600 K;
    Black on max brightness: 0.41 cd/m2.

Also the fan never turns off. Its really annoying. Even when it is doing nothing. More info to come as I keep reviewing

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That review states the monitor is average, not terrible, even by ultrabookreview.com’s standards. Also they said to expect better results once calibrated. Also it’s a gaming laptop, not one meant for content creators,
    so most people couldn’t care less about the colour reproduction and the like.

About the fans; since the iGPU has been switched off and the dGPU is always running, it’s kinda obvious that the fans will be constantly running even on idle.

6. Joshva

Reputations:
    Unsure if you own the laptop or not, but it really is frustrating the fan noise. Screen I can live with. I just don't want people thinking this is a good screen. It is mediocre

7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That aw13 r3 spoils you. If you take that out the picture. Is the Aorus still any good in its own merit.
    Looking at pictures here I can see it’s not an “amazing” thing to look at. It look alright. But that would go hand in hand with the screen quality.
    Try the y740 with a 2070 mq (surely that’s enough power still from I assume the 1060) if you return it.
    People are hyping it up and I bought one because it looks like they was influenced by that Alienware generation but did a slightly nicer job with it and it’s a bit close to the size of the r3 with 144hz gysnc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Joshva

Reputations:

Interesting. If i'm reading you right, you feel the Lenovo is nicer. The thing that is killing me is how loud the fans are on this. I checked in the bios if i can re enable the igpu but i can't find a way. Do you know if there is a way to do it?

9. Rhylin

Rhylin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly in my opinion, GSYNC is a must for me. I notice a huge difference when playing without GSYNC on games below 70 fps. I would assume buying a laptop with nothing less than a 2080 would make getting a GSYNC laptop mute but I'd highly recommend it with 2060 - 2070s that barely top out the most graphical intense games at respectable framerates.

IKAS V likes this.
  10. Joshva

Reputations:

I think the tearing is pretty bad tbh. I just played an hour of Battlefield 1. It was smoother on my external display at 60fps 4k than on the internal display 100hz.