Anyway To Turn Off Automatic Updates In Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Davidpriddy, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Davidpriddy

Davidpriddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm tired of my machine updating or shutting down on it's own, I don't like this! I have my active hours set but you can only set for a maximum of 18 hours, during those remaining 6 hours, Windows is free to do what it wants. This morning I woke up to machine turned off and I was like WTF? Then I realized I did an update and shut the machine down. Why is there no option in WIndows 10 to turn this crap off PERIOD? Alert me when there are updates but let me decide when I want to install them...I don't mind if it wants to download the updates automatically but for God sakes, please stop rebooting my machine or shutting it off on your own please! You were able to control this in previous versions but Windows 10 locks it down where you have no control over anything anymore.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, with Windows 10 Pro

@Phoenix may be able to tell you how to do it in regular Win 10

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Win 10 pro is the best option, if not you can try disabling windows update with O&OShutup. Or disable it in services. However I think windows will continuosly reset this, so it is not a disable and forget.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. Davidpriddy

Davidpriddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea I heard about Windows 10 Pro...I also heard if I turned on "metered connections" for my Wi-Fi, that would do the trick. I just turned that on, let's see what happens.

Why are they determined to limit home users when it comes to this?

5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is the choice that was made they only had Home and Pro. Most computer at your electronics retailer were Home only and that is what stinks unless you bought custom made machine then you had Pro option if they had that option. You can go Pro but that requires a new Product Key and higher price to get that option. Unless the 3rd party can resolve it - it will most likely revert back when Windows 10 Home does it update so even then those software will have to cowtow to Windows. At this point you should talk to a computer shop on how to go Windows 10 Pro if you don't want to loose information or how to upgrade to Window 10 Pro I don't think it will cost more but you need to talk or email or Chat with a MS Windows Rep to find that solution for you to go Pro from Home. I don't think the machine will shutdown on a update as I only used Pro versions of Windows nothing less because of the control I can do more with it.

And you can provide that legitimate Win10 pro Support should it fail for them? Remember Product Keys on eBay unless you can verify that seller through Microsoft Windows Support one shouldn't take this advice. Your asking for trouble here. I got lucky on eBay my seller was a legit seller but since then the seller stop selling on eBay because of the bad reputation of illegitimate Windows 10 Pro Product Key sellers causing bad name for legit seller.

6. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    A Win 10 Pro key can be had for ~$12 to $25 these days on Ebay. That is where I always get mine with no problem (about 13 keys so far). As with any other seller; feedback score of 99.8 to 100% with at least 300 score is excellent indication things will be fine.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!

[​IMG]

ThatOldGuy and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good point, edited my post. Safer to just pay Microsoft $99 for their crappy OS.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

Raiderman likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    Don't like Portuguese?
    qual o problema com isto?