1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Anyway to Bypass Steam?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by GamingACU, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GamingACU

GamingACU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently purchased the Orange Box from Steam (it was the deal a couple weeks ago), and finally finished dling HL:2, only took about 4 days... But now even if I choose to start steam offline, it won't let me access HL:2. This doesn't make any sense since it's a single player game.

I can play CSS, which is a multiplayer game offline, and various other games, but not HL:2. Are there any cracks or patches I can use so I can play this while not connected to the internet?

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not that I found, anything from valve and some of the third party stuff will always start steam first even if you go directly to the game exe. Be watching this one to see if someone has the magic bullet.

3. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Get Steam-Buster Revolution. It's a Steam emulator that doesn't require an internet connection or any updating. Just tell it to look for the games installed in your steamapps folder and they should work just fine.

Obviously you won't be able to play online, but I used it for months last year when I didn't have an internet connection.

4. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

Reputations:
    I make batch files... old school way.

I played Portal and other games of the Orange Box that way... since I do not always have internet access.

5. CuriousN

CuriousN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    about steam buster,
    i installed it and it says
    "cant find any games..."

do i need to get those gcf files somewhere?

6. lozanogo

lozanogo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is very weird. I usually use Steam offline and I can play any game, including HL2. Can you play any of the episodes offline? How about Portal? I am guessing something wrong went on the installation, maybe reinstalling would solve your problems.

Please let us know if you find what happened.

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    The GCF files should be in (with default directory) C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps.

8. GamingACU

GamingACU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can play CSS offline, I haven't finished dling any of the episodes (I'm on a 20k/s dl speed). All I did was dl HL2 and it autoinstalled, I'm not redling it to try and fix this.

Also, are there any legit sites to get Steam-Buster Revolution from, I don't really feel like trying to torrent anything on this connection.

9. GamingACU

GamingACU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm starting to think this might be more hl2 related... I just crashed twice in 5 minutes while playing it...nothing was over 60C, so it wasn't a hardware problem.

10. Snowm0bile

Snowm0bile Starcraftologist

Reputations:
    Im pretty sure you can run steam in offline mode and it will let you run any game. I dont have steam right now, but I have it on my desktop back home and when I didnt have internet connection I remember doing that and being able to play hl2 and all the other games I have on steam.