Anything like the Gigabyte Aero 15X but with a usable webcam?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by PabloW92, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PabloW92

PabloW92 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a laptop that has a 4k display with 100% Adobe RGB, i7 8th, and at least a GTX1060 (or equivalent). I will work doing VFX and video editing with it.

The Gigabyte Aero 15X seems to tick all the boxes, and also has a numpad which is something I prefer to have.

The thing is, I'm not comfortable spending $2500 dollars on a laptop with a design that makes the webcam completely useless. I don't even want to encourage this stuff with my money. It's also the reason I'm not even looking at the Dell XPS laptops... it's really such a shame.

What would be the most adequate laptop for my needs?

Thanks!

General Questions:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This requirement will limit you to a very, very, small subset of laptops. Have a look at the MSI GS65 or the HP ZBook Studio/ZBook 15 (these two will cost you an arm and a leg as well as your liver). The MSI comes with a 97% AdobeRGB screen and a gtx 1060/1070 MQ. The Zbook Studio comes a with a Quadro P1000 (similar to a gtx 1050) and slimmer and lighter than the Zbook 15 which comes with a Quadro P2000 (around 15% slower than a gtx 1060). Both models come with 4K 100% AdobeRGB screens.

What software are you using for VFX and video editing? Are you planning to game with on this laptop? Please consider filling out the form.

PabloW92 likes this.
  3. PabloW92

PabloW92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I'm aware there are not a lot of options withing the 100% adobe rgb display requirement, but it's something important in this case. I edited my first post with the questions, thanks!

To answer your question here, this would be the software I'd be using:
    VFX compositing, video editing (Nuke, Fusion, Maya, After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop)

I don't plan on gaming. Maybe I will, but it's not relevant to my decision.

4. RampantGorilla

Reputations:
    Personally, I'd go for the 15" ZBook Studio with a i7 8750H and the 4K panel and the 97 Wh battery. The Quadro P1000 is more than enough for the video editing, but as for VFX, that would depend on what you're doing. if you're doing complex 3D renders, you'll want a gtx 1060 or quadro p2000. This would mean going for the MSI or the ZBook 15. The ZBook 15 is available with a 5 year warranty for an extra $300, but the MSI is cheaper and more powerful. Personally, I'd go for the MSI GS65, but I'd get from GenTech PC who will custom configure it to your needs:

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSI-GS65-Stealth-THIN-054B (gtx 1070 Max Q)
    https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-gs65-stealth-thin-051b.htm (gtx 1060)

Note that GenTech PC have a offer on where you can get a better thermal paste (IC Diamond or Kryonaut) put on your laptop's CPU and GPU for lower temperatures under load. It currently costs only 1 cent, so it's basically free.

GenTechPC likes this.
  5. PabloW92

PabloW92 Newbie

Reputations:
    I couldn't find anywhere the MSI GS65 with a 4k panel. It seems it's only available in FHD.

I'm looking at the MSI 17.3" GS73 Stealth Notebook here:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...3_stealth_014_17_3_gs73_stealth_notebook.html

I can't seem to find much information about it, but I read somewhere that the previous GS73 with the 4K panel was 100% Adobe RGB. I would like to know if this also applies to this one.
    It's 17" inches so it's bigger than what I was looking for. But for the price and specs I might consider it.

What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. RampantGorilla

Reputations:
    The FHD panel of the MSI GS65 has 97% AdobeRGB. 4K makes little sense on a laptop, especially given how bad windows scaling is. The GS73 has 61% Adobe RGB: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...60-4K-Laptop-Review.226124.0.html#toc-display.

The only laptop that meets all of your needs is the HP ZBook Studio. It does have the drawback of the weaker gpu (Quadro P1000, similar to a gtx 1050), but it does meet all of your requirements. If you're not willing to make that sacrifice, you'll need to choose between the Aero 15 (use an external webcam) or the GS65 (you'd be giving up 4K). You should also consider the Dell precision 7520 or the lenovo thinkpad p51; both of these laptops meet your needs but they come with a quadro m2200 which is slightly faster than a gtx 1050. Dell and Lenovo will update those two laptops to the Quadro P2000 and the i7 8750H at sometime in the future, but you'd need to wait until then.

7. PabloW92

PabloW92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thats a nice summary of the situation, thank you!

I might just need to give up the 4k I so badly wanted... I'm not quite convinced with the HP ZBook Studio. I'm leaning towards the MSI GS65. I guess 97% AdobeRGB is enough.

I'm seeing that there are several config of the MSI GS65 available: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=msi gs65&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

This is the one I'm looking: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._stealth_thin_053_15_6_gs65_stealth_thin.html

Do you think it would be a better choice to buy 16GB ram + 256SSD and then add myself another 16GB and another SSD?

8. RampantGorilla

Reputations:
    Early reviews seem to suggest that the MSI GS65 is very difficult to open, so I'd get all of the RAM and SSD storage I can get my hands on. I would buy the laptop from GenTech PC, because they will repaste the CPU and GPU with a high performance thermal compound like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (this is the option that I recommend you to pick) which will help keep the laptop nice and cool when under load. They offer this service for only one cent!

An MSI GS65 with the 1070 Max Q, 32GB RAM and a 512GB PCIe NVMe ssd will cost you $2493 from GenTech PC which is the same as the configuration that you linked but a for a little bit less. The same machine with the same specs, but with a GTX 1060, will cost you around $2200. Also GenTech PC will test your machine rigorously to ensure that it is working perfectly before they ship it to you. They also have very good after-sales service, so if you have a problem with your laptop, you can call them up and they will fix it quickly. Given all of this, I would feel far more comfortable buying from GenTech PC than from B&H who will not provide the same level of customer service and quality control.

Since you are an NBR member, if you PM @Kevin@GenTechPC with your NBR username, he may be able to give you a small discount because you're an NBR member.

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MSI-GS65-Stealth-THIN-054B (gtx 1070 Max Q)
    https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/msi-gs65-stealth-thin-051b.htm (gtx 1060)

huntnyc and GenTechPC like this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check this GS65 form HIDevolution:

Custom Built MSI GS65 Stealth THIN 8RF-068 15.6" w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q (which includes 32GB of RAM and 1TB (2x 512GB) M.2 PCIe SSD)

They have the best customer service and after sales support and also their builds are superb in terms of quality, thermal paste application, etc.

You definitely wanna choose this option when configuring yours: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE (will reduce temps by 10C)

That will dramatically help lower the temps and HIDevolution does extensive testing both in synthetic tests and actual long gameplay sessions to ensure you'd get a laptop that works perfect out of the box without any quirks.

Also, if you email donald@hidevolution.com and tell him your NBR Forum username, you can get the NBR Discount.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    whats with people requesting things that don't exist.

on the up side of intelligence i vote for gs65 thin also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.