Anyone with a Clevo P950HR (or similar) with GTX1070 MaxQ tried the new 400+ nvidia drivers?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by djsubtronic, Oct 29, 2018.

1. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been having an issue with all the 400+ drivers where it seems to put a constant 5-7% usage on the "System" process (which normally hovers around 0-0.5% and peaks at 1% occassionally). While this may not seem like a lot, my battery life which is usually around 3hrs is dramatically reduced to under 1 hour. I reverted to the 399.24 drivers and it's all fine again.

Any ideas?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you done a clean install of the Intel + nvidia drivers?

3. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    Yeah, still get the same issue.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Have you reported it to nvidia?

5. yeoldegamer1979

yeoldegamer1979 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is the 399.24 driver being used from Clevo or from Nvidia. In case that sounds a little weird was the 399.24 driver supplied from Clevo?

6. djsubtronic

Reputations:
    From nvidia. Digging a little deeper: the nvidia GPU never goes to sleep after a monitor has been plugged into the displayport. Normally after it's unplugged you'd expect the GPU to go back to sleep. But after plugging in a monitor and then unplugging it, this doesn't seem to happen (and this kills battery life since the GPU is always on). So I wrote an app that monitors the power status. If you unplug the power and go onto battery, the app will disable the GPU device (same as disabling in device manager) and re-enable it. This fixed the problem of the GPU always being active. But for some reason with the 400+ driver version, this act of disabling and re-enabling in device manager causes the GPU to go crazy. Upon re-enabling, instead of staying asleep like on 399.24, it comes back to life with even more violence. Constantly stays open, and makes "System" process stuck on 6-7% CPU usage. 1hr battery life instead of 3. I'm just gonna stay on 399.24 forever.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Try the latest set.

8. yeoldegamer1979

Reputations:
    That is more than likely causing the issue. I had a hard time with something similar with my Gtx 860's. Essentially at some point the newer driver affects the functionality of the device unless that driver update comes from the manufacturer. When I consulted with Nvidia they pointed out that drivers from the website vs oem are different animals. If I update past 388.71 I get black screens, reboots, hanging etc. issues that would indicate some sort of hardware problem. Reverting back to anything before 388.71 fixes the problem at the expense of lower frame rates.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I always use Nvidia drivers myself, they should work fine.

10. yeoldegamer1979

Reputations:
    I wish I had your luck, but after fighting with it for quite some time I had to accept it. The nvldkmm.sys issue I encountered after upgrading drivers has a long history of individuals with the same problems eventually reverting to older drivers.

Since this thread I made below rolling back to the old drivers I have accumulated 100 hours of Rocket league, 30 hours of Dirt Rally, 40 hours of Titan fall 2, and 10 hours of Destiny 2 without a single issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ter-120hz-install.812183/page-4#post-10694492