Anyone using esim in their phones? I set mine up yesterday and noticed something..

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, Aug 28, 2021.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The phone is my Telus iPhone 11, and both my plans are with telus. So really its an even playing field for comparison. What is causing the vast differences in service? There is some back story here as well. My iphone 11 main plan (regular sim) keeps dropping signal in certian places, while my samsung galaxy tablet has full bars in the same locations.
    I was told it's the system in the iPhone causing it. Then, fire up my esim in the iPhone and I get full bars on my secondary account the same as my tablet would, but my main line still is dead in the same areas.
    Faulty phone? Even though my iphone 8 dropped in the same places and I replaced that phone with the 11 because of it. My wife's phone does not have this issue and it's an iphone 11 as well.

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Certainly peculiar situation seeing as though both are the same carrier. Seeing as though the 8 & 11 exhibit the same issue but not your wife's 11 there might be an easy test. Swap the sim's in both phones and see if the issue carries over to your wife's 11 and if it does there's something odd about the configuration that the sim is pulling to the phone when it initializes. If the issue doesn't follow the sim from phone to phone then it's the phone. Then again it could be a glitch in the billing system for your 1 number tied to that sim producing the issue.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I was on service chat with apple, they said there was nothing wrong with my hardware (besides being an iPhone). They said it's the sim card, so I replaced my sim again and will see what happens. I guess I will be getting a motorola G pro for a replacement. It's the only android phone with 2 sim slots, expandable storage and stylus support.

4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Plenty of phones have dual slots.

Expandable SD storage though is a bit different and the stylus is limited selection.

I went with an OP 8 Pro w/ 256GB of storage and struggle to fill it more than 50%. If you need that much room for media / apps then I would think the phone would slow to a crawl. SD is nice if you're aiming to keep the actual phone cost down but, it's a chink in the armor of the phone for something to die eventually.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_pro-10269.php it has decent specs and it's not too old at this point either.

Just make sure it has all of the bands you need for the best coverage - https://www.frequencycheck.com/mode...im-td-lte-xt2043-7-moto-g8-pro-motorola-sofia

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Again, it's the only phone with dual sim, sd card and stylus support. 3 needed things for me this time around. It works on my system no issue. My friend is using the G8 power on telus without issue now.

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Great!

kojack likes this.
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I would use esim if any of our local operators supported the feature :mad:

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They won't let you use esim here unless it's the second line..

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    One of my phones has eSIM, but I don't use it due to privacy implications - signup process is more complicated and involves taking a selfie.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I never had to do any of that, just scan the esim sim card and pick my new number. I only have a pay as you go airtime plan with phone and text. Work line.