Anyone tried Linux on an MSI laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Ultra Male, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Concerning UEFI: In the present state, UEFI is very well supported on a majority of products out there, such as laptops, desktops and server motherboard platforms.

Infact, UEFI boot is mandated for compliance with TPM 2.x compliance, and attempting to provision a TPM 2.x device in a legacy boot (or CSM mode) will result in initialization failure.

The issues you'll run into with UEFI, where applicable, are as follows:

1. Some UEFI implementations are simply cancerous. For instance, in the way some platforms handle EFIVARS, where userland utilities such as efibootmgr cannot correctly update the boot priority. For such cases, you can try an alternate boot loader such as rEFInd. See my battle with the broken UEFI implementation on an Asus G750JM-DS71 laptop.

2. Some vendors make it hard(er) than it should be to get into the UEFI setup environment, either by not documenting the entry point shortcut key or enforcing fast boot mode by default. This may make toggling off some options, such as secure boot, much harder than they should be. Secure boot is well supported by modern Linux distributions, but you'll want to keep it disabled if you're using any proprietary drivers (that cannot be signed).

3. Some vendors, namely Lenovo and co, ha(d)ve intentionally left RAID mode as the only storage mode in the BIOS, essentially "locking out" Linux out of these machines unless one installed a firmware update that restored that mode later. Matthew Garrett explains that better.

4. And then down to the Intel SPI platform driver(s) issue that bricked multiple laptops whose UEFI implementation(s) came from InsydeH20.

See, UEFI is complex. Much more complex than legacy BIOS implementations, and apart from the security implications here (being a low-level micro-OS running below ring 0), its' also prone to failure and shoddy engineering, as (4) up there demonstrated. Yet, when well done, UEFI's advantages in the long run are quite clear: It's easier to handle multiple boot options, the introduction of the ESP, independent of bootloader limitations, enhanced security (secure boot has its' uses), among others.

Apart from that, running Linux on modern hardware is becoming easier somewhat. And that is something I can appreciate over the years :)

Txordi and hmscott like this.
  2. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    By the way, how does Linspire's Desktop Environment feel with day to day use?

On Ubuntu 18.04LTS, there are times xorg segfaults under very specific workloads (the skype snap application triggers an unrecoverable crash).

3. Gursimran82956

Gursimran82956 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A little help please,
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 18.04
    on my gp63 8re
    The problem are many,
    At first acpi errors were showing then i tried acpi=off, then i tried nomodeset instead of quiet splash too. But still one type of error came which was
    Stdin: invalid argument
    It comes for about 40-50 times then busybox opens.
    IMG_20180804_061601~01~01.jpg
    In all these things secure boot, fast startup was off.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you use rufus with uefi or mbr mode? You need UEFI mode with secure boot turned off. If it doesn't work try 16.04.3 ISO.

5. Gursimran82956

Reputations:
    I tried this
    IMG_20180804_130824~01.jpg

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    enable/disable nvidia modeset whilst booting the ISO. I'd try Xubuntu 18 since its smaller and faster version than stock Ubuntu. Then again, you change the environment of ubuntu to xfce.
    If it doesn't work, try YUMI UEFI.

7. Gursimran82956

Reputations:
    I even changed my undervolt to zero offsets now.
    Disabled fast boot, disabled secure boot
    Then changed acpi=off
    Now 5 times error came of stdin: invalid argument then
    Busybox started then
    This came
    (Initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system.
    Btw
    When stdin error comes i can switch between this screen and ubuntu splashscreen by using arrow keys.

8. Gursimran82956

Reputations:
    Enable/disable nvidia modeset by nouveau.modeset=0 or exchanging quiet splash with nomodeset?

9. Gursimran82956

Reputations:
    I have left 200 gb as in for linux from hdd
    I have also tried installing while that storage was unallocated too.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    nouveau.modeset will work for you.

hmscott likes this.