Anyone tried Linux on an MSI laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Phoenix, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me it was not a problem. Detected and I could also make partitions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lucky person in the world.

hmscott and Txordi like this.
  3. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yap... The raid drive was shown duplicated and with strange names but I could go ahead with that. The grub did not installed properly but after working it with the boot repair disk I got it working.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That sucks, I had the same thing but chose to switch to AHCI and never looked back. Clean installed Linux almost 5-10 times because nvidia driver refused to work every time.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He can, because this is Haswell. IMSM RAID for that chipset works out of the box, in both BIOS and UEFI boot modes.

alexhawker, Txordi and hmscott like this.
  6. SynergyBoot

SynergyBoot Newbie

Reputations:
    Is this still the case ? And what Linux distro do you belive will be most stable dualboot on a MSI GT73VR-7RF Titan Pro ?
    I have tried Ubunto 17.10 as LiveCD(usb) and it seems to work, but I am so far not convinced weather or not I should try to do a dual-boot installation. I don´t care which Linux distro I get, as long as it works and I still have my windows as my a dualboot option. :)

7. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, the matter on RAID support is still the case.

When it comes to recommending Linux distributions especially on laptops, pick a distribution that puts effort into hardware enablement. Ubuntu, and its' variants (such as Manjaro) are a good bet, and the LTS versions are recommended over their latest builds as they do contain backporting work for hardware enablement and security patchwork from upstream too.

Fedora is also strongly recommended, in part, due to ease of installation and maintenance. I find Anaconda (their installer) and DNF (the package manager) to be faster at both deployment and maintainability. If you're more inclined to adventure, Arch Linux is there for you.

You should definitely care about which version of Linux you're planning to use especially if:

(a). Hardware support.

(b). Skill level

Are considerations.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    +1.
    I am using Alienware 15 r2 and installed Xubuntu 16 which had kernel 4.4 as stock and it was really worse & had to enable HWE mode like @Dennismungai said to upgrade to 4.8->4.10->4.13 to get performance on par with W10.

9. SynergyBoot

SynergyBoot Newbie

Reputations:

Regarding skill level in Linux.... I am a total noob :p With that in mind, I learned myself to program at the age of 9. At the age of 13 I made websites etc. for semi-huge firms. Knowledge sticks with me and I dont mind to get stuck in trial/error scenarios regarding Linux as an OS. I do however don´t like to start off with having serious hardware problems or thrashing my $4000 laptop in the process :O
    I have without any luck tried to get a usefull reply from MSI, they stick to the words in the original first message in this thread with phrases like: "our systems are only tested on Windows" - "we DONT recommend that you try to install any Linux distros"...
    I am well aware that I can easily run any Linux distro in virtual box, but for the purpose I have in mind and for the courses / self-tutoring way I have set as goals, I really just need a Linux distro that will work with my system.
    I dont mind if a Linux distro won´t give me the same amount of juice available as my windows (due to fact this system was built for it), but I will require it to be able to utilize my m2 SSDs, my 32 GB RAM and my kabylake processor. If the graphics aren´t there for any gaming in Linux, thats fine with me. I will only use the Linux for learning the Linux way of life, and so my courses ment for Linux OS, will be more easy to follow. (I am trying to get back to my old hobbies, with a focus on pentesting with Kali Linux run in Virtual Box.. On a Linux OS). So I guess the virtualization technology from this laptop should also be running without any caveats in whatever Linux distro I end up with.
    Sorry for the novelle, and thx in advance for any usefull answers :)

Dennismungai and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Even I tried programming under VM and experience was worse really much worse. All it took was 2 mins to install Linux and took me 3 months to tweak/setup all IDEs working w/o any issues. Just download Ubuntu or Xubuntu or Linux Mint. I personally have Xubuntu 16 with all latest and greatest kernels, firmware and tweaked for max battery life and max performance w/o any interference from AVs.