Anyone tried Linux on an MSI laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Phoenix, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    which I don't want. I like my laptop in RAID 0 not only for the performance but to combine my 2TB m.2 NVMe SSDs into a 4TB large partition

speaking of drives. I have my 1TB m.2 SATA and 2.5 inch SATA SSDs setup as a 5TB spanned drive. Will linux be able to see them and write to them or it doesn't support spanned drives?

3. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    Yes, depending on your RAID controller.

What's the make of your system?

Some newer Intel IMSM RAID controllers are not supported (yet). Follow this thread.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    it's in my sig but in case you were on a mobile device, it's an MSI GT73VR Titan Pro

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    At the moment, no.

Your RAID controller is the affected model mentioned in the thread above.

6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sigs and rep show up on mobile if you have your auto rotate on and turn your phone 90 degrees ;)

alexhawker, Phoenix and Vasudev like this.
  7. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi. I have an MSI GT70 updated with a 980m and i7 4910mq. I use it with 3xmsata ssds in RAID0. I have it with windows 10 and ubuntu 16.04 in dual boot (via grub, both OS's on the RAID).

It works flawlessly good. For me, ubuntu feels better than windows (I have always preferred it). I feel that the colors look better and also the performance is much better. Also, I prefer the Ubuntu audio from the W10 audio (not when I was in W8.1, where the soundblaster drivers worked properly, a shame for MSI such a downgrade in audio experience).

I can turn on the keyboard backlight with lights in white just pressing the hardware dedicated button to it. Time ago, I used a nodejs script for selecting the rgb colors, but I am not actually interested in it, so at some time I have lost it.

The nvidia drivers work good and I get the expected performance from my 980m. Buuut, and this is the only but, when prime is selected (rendering via the nvidia card) I get an annoying tearing. I tried some things to eliminate it but I never achieved any improvement. This tearing implies a very bad gaming experience... So, for gaming I just switch to Windows and I use Ubuntu in Intel mode most of the time. I used to train NNs in it and then I worked with prime mode and well, you can work with it just fine even having the GPU at 100% usage. It adds a little more tearing but it's OK to work with it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How did you manage to get it working on RAID? Did you use dmraid or similar? Linux never worked for me on RAID.

Txordi likes this.
  9. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It works out of the box. But, in order to make the computer boot with GRUB, I needed to use boot repair disk (https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/). Maybe I'm a lucky one for what I see here.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    RAID on linux livecd never detected the disks in the first place.

hmscott likes this.