]]>

Anyone tried Linux on an MSI laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Phoenix, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    According to me error looks like you're already using Realtek codec. Did you install linux firmware 1.164.x from lauchpad.net?
    The above codec pkg works on Conexant, Sound Blaster, Cirrus Logic(Apple).
    I'll check my PC what dependencies the pkg needs. I'll answer you tomorrow.

2. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Linux is so complicated that you simply don't get how it managed to break 2 times already when all you had done were browsing and setting it up on only 10% for personal look and installed base preference.

It really takes you few tries to get used to it. I tried twice but I dropped it for such stupid bugs like "you can increase volume for up to 200 but as soon as you go out of advanced menu you again can't scroll above 100" on Mint Cinnamon. Which in combination with lower system volume than in Windows is enough to say fk it and fk those pricks who vote against feature enhancements even those which wouldn't change default look-feel but only give missing options to set as you need.

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had to clean install Linux 4-5 times to get a brief idea which drivers and apps works best.Takes 5 mins to install Linux but takes hell lot of time to configure/setup Linux.

4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I must say that Win10 nailed it from both worlds: It gets installed and updated longer than Windows 7 and gets messed up as easy as Linux. Win-Win as MS developers probably would say.

hmscott, steberg and Vasudev like this.
  5. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sli, nvme, rgb, optical drive, wont work!! Also *IF* playing games you would get sudden drips on fps!!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm going to correct you on some things you stated above:

1. For SLI, that depends on your desktop environment. Stick to Gnome Desktop and the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) for best results. Unity's default compositor, LightDM, has been known for having multiple issues in the past with SLI, and this is not an Ubuntu-specific issue.

2. NVMe drives are fully supported on Linux since Linux kernel 3.3, and it keeps getting better. This includes full support for self encrypting drives (SEDs) through user space facilities such as sedutil and in-kernel support since Linux 4.14.

3. RGB for Steel Series keyboards works on Linux with a third party driver.

4. All optical drives work out of the box on any modern Linux distribution.

7. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay,
    1. I was talking sli for games, nvidia drivers for linux seem to have issue on sli.
    2. Mine nvme ssd worked after i tweaked like 4 hours on diffrent sofwares and drives. Still linux cant even boot from nvme.
    3. Msi gt83vr has a mechanical keyB with cherry mx switches, it aint a steel series keyB
    4. I installed 2 softwares then my optical drive was just detected, blu ray drives seem to have problems with linux,
    Anyways thanks man!!

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you installed restricted addons package? I use Xubuntu so the package will Xubuntu restricted addons. It will be around 50-70 megs.

9. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm very interested in knowing the make of your MSI laptop.

Being unable to boot from an NVMe drive on Linux with a machine whose hardware supports it is an anomaly.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    NVMe drives boot perfectly as long as you use AHCI.

Maleko48 likes this.