Anyone replaced a keyboard in an XPS 15 (9530)?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by elyl, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elyl

elyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting an XPS 15 when I'm in a different country. I'd like to change the keyboard to my country's keyboard (as I understand I can't pop the keys off and rearrange them!)

I've read the service manual, and I'm confident about taking the whole laptop apart to get to the keyboard, the only thing I'm unsure about is the part when you unscrew the actual keyboard. It says you need to break through the mylar to get to the screws - I am assuming this mylar is part of the spill-proofing of the keyboard, to stop spills seeping through to the motherboard. But I am unsure if the replacement keyboard parts come with a new mylar sheet, or if I need to buy and fit one myself, and if so, what type of mylar is it (clear plastic, foil backed?)

So, has anyone replaced the keyboard on theirs (or witnessed a Dell engineer doing it), and what's the deal with the mylar?

2. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I have witnessed a Dell technician replace the keyboard on my m3800, which is basically the same thing as the XPS 15.

He did need to remove the mylar (foil) sheet, as in peel it off, to be able to access the screws. He tore it apart fairly decently in the process and the replacement keyboard he had did NOT come with a replacement mylar sheet. So, he stuck it back on as best he could. At the time we thought it was heat shielding, but now that I know its true purpose I'm going to have to be extra careful about spills around this thing... not that I wasn't to begin with!

elyl likes this.
  3. elyl

elyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for replying, I didn't get a notification for it so I'm late replying!
    I don't know for sure what the mylar is for, it just seems unusual to have something like that if it's not for waterproofing. Possibly some thermal protection for the keyboard, if it's foil.
    Having some difficulty finding anyone selling the part for a reasonable price... £60 for a bit of foil-backed plastic! I might just take it apart and see what's up, you can buy rolls of foil mylar for much cheapness, so that might be a better option.

4. cheshirecat79

cheshirecat79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've replaced mine. I wouldn't worry about the mylar. As the above poster mentioned, the newer keyboard revisions do not come with the part.

I wouldn't suggest taking the laptop apart just to check it out. Just do it when you're ready to change out the part. The entire assembly needs to be taken apart in order to change the keyboard- it's not necessarily difficult, just a bit tedious.

Take your time, don't force things apart (if something is stuck, there's most likely a reason) and you'll be fine.

5. elyl

elyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool, cheers. What's your thoughts on the purpose of the mylar? Do you think it has anything to do with the spill-proofing? You're right enough, any part pictures I see of the replacement keyboard seem to have a mylar backing already on there, with spaces for the keyboard screws, but I can't tell 100% if that is the mylar they talk about in the service manual, or just the backing on the keyboard part :S

6. ctbear

ctbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, sorry to dig this old thread up. Some water spilled on my XPS 15 - 9530 keyboard and now some keys have stopped working (ie. spacebar key). Where did you guys find a replacement keyboard? Is there a part number? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. Only one I've found so far is this used one from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Genuine...910497?hash=item2ee80189a1:g:PK8AAOSwwbdWOOUL

Thanks for the help

7. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think the mylar helps stop the backlight from bleeding out. I had my XPS serviced by Dell, and now the keyboard backlight is visible shining out on the very bottom of the display bezel through the fan vents. It's also visible through the vents on the case bottom. I'm guessing they didnt replace that mylar when they reassembled the unit. It's not terrible, but I would advise replacing the mylar to avoid this problem.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The joys of stupid untrained technicians from 3rd party companies not reading up on the job they are about to do, amazed you didn't get back on the phone demanding it was fixed properly.

I was googling to find out what a new keyboard and trackpad cost as I am about to put up for sale the ones dell sent me. It is UK though so it won't fit the palmrest of other countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.