Anyone own both the M17x R3 and the m18x

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by hawk1410, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volkly

Volkly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first picture is of the M18x side by side with the m17x r3, the R2 don't have the new media button. I have own both and lets say in class, the m17x R3 is able to sit comfortably on the little lecture hall tables, with the M18x, not so much. Pictures won't do it justice as you really have to handle it personally to understand. But another note, you get use to it quite quickly. Took me about a few hours to get use to the extra size and weight, but if it is by itself, you don't notice any difference from the m17x r3, it only seems huge when you have another notebook in comparision to it.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Lack of aero? What's that mean? If you're referring to Windows Aero, that doesn't make any sense. It works fine. Also, whether you need a new bag depends on which one you already own. You may not need a new bag if the one you have is larger than the M17x R3 requires. If the R3 barely fits, you will need a new one.

3. orijin

orijin Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    my m18x barely fits into my north face recon bookbag, while my m17x r3 can fit in there and get zipped up the m18x can't get zippered up.

a bit too lazy to take pictures tho :p

4. prank1

prank1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have owned both an M17xR3 and M18x at one point.

Most people are put off by the size of Alienware laptops, especially the M18x but if this doesn't bother you then there is no reason (apart from the extra cost) not to go for the M18x. Better specs, SLI/xFire, aluminium chassis, bigger screen (so things don't look too small at 1080p), and I can tell you having owned an M15xR2, M17xR3 and M18xR1 (current) the M18xR1 is the best by far.

Attached Files:

• Pic.jpg
      Pic.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  5. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^ Agreed!!! However, I can keep my m17xR3/R4 on my lap for a long period without feeling any discomfort while with the m18xR1/R2 you cannot do that... So, for school I recommend to go with the m17xR3/R4. However, I still love my m18xR2 the most (I own most of the alienware models) and I recommend it to all since is the best built quality out of all the models.

Please note that this is my only opinion. Regards

6. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just my $0.02...

I bought my m18x to replace an ASUS G74sx (roughly same weight as M17x-R3, though maybe a bit thicker) and I feel that it is just as usable (comfort-wise) on my lap as the ASUS. The only difference is that the air intakes are on the bottom, so I have a small board (taken from the keyboard tray of a computer desk) that I rest it on when gaming on my lap to prevent blocking the air intakes (similar to being on top of a desk). I'll use it directly on my lap in integrated graphics mode for hours with no issue.

I was concerned about the added weight, but it really hasn't been an issue for me. The added performance (for me, anyway) greatly outweighs (no pun intended) the added weight.

I bought a Targus XL backpack for my ASUS and the M18x fits in it as well, if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.