Anyone knows how to avoid letting those connector heads of USB cables to get..."oxidized?"

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lanhannr, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanhannr

lanhannr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming with me, Krane! Yes, just have some cables at home replaced and am waiting for the USB caps to arrive so I can keep them "clean." I ordered some extra ones so I can also use at work. Thanks again!

2. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The pins inside are what matter. If the cables you're using are according to the USB spec (which they should be, and most are), then the pins will be gold plated and won't corrode. They can get dirty and full of fluff, but you can simply clean that off.

As said before, the shield makes next to no difference, which is why I never accept gold plating to be a valid selling point with USB cables (monster would beg to differ, with their gold plated optical cables and all).

3. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    gold plated is not a miracle. specially in connectors that are often used. with time the surface get scratches and eventually will corrode.
    protecting the connector from the enviremont will ensure a longer lifetime of the material. that's why high-end electrical connetors are always protected.

4. lanhannr

lanhannr Newbie

Reputations:
    I think really the ultimate solution for protecting the connectors besides having those caps would be to keep them plugged all the time. :p I noticed the connectors that are plugged all the time, such as keyboard or mouses', are perfectly shiny like new. But the outer part that exposed in the air still can't avoid getting corroded....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.