Anyone having heat problems with Macbook?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Deltaflyer, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deltaflyer

Deltaflyer Newbie

Reputations:
    Is anyone out there having heat problems on the Macbook similar to the MBPro models?
    If so, does this require a firmware update or taking it apart like some folks have for the MB Pro models and reapplied the thermal paste to the CPU'S?

2. cashmonee

cashmonee Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Have not seen one myself, but their have been reports floating that they have similar issues. It seems that Apple is instructing manufacturers to put too much thermal paste on. The advantage is that the notebook will be quit, but the disadvantage is that heat won't radiate properly.

3. mach_zero

mach_zero Casual Observer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yup. With these chips they can't have it both ways if they stick to what are pretty much the same old designs. I think Apple is learning some hard lessons right now. If they were worried about keeping them quiet and cool I think they shoud have either 1) used a ULV chip instead to help keep the heat down or 2) redesigned the chassis to accomodate better ventilation. It looks like there very little area for the heat to escape on the MacBook.

Going to be waiting for Rev B myself, or until I hear other users starting to report cooler running MacBooks coming off the shelf. Hope it is sooner rather than later, though, since my wife is starting to gnaw her arm off in anticipation after I told her she had to wait. :p

4. archer

archer Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a friend that has a black MacBook and it's running really hot. 82C! Then to add to the problems the nice black finish is flaking off! Just 3 days old and all these issues! I'm glad that I put off purchasing one.
    It's as though this computer comes in "Kit Form" one must take it apart, redo the thermal compound, and put it back together they way the mfg should have!
    No Thanks. Apple's message is clear: Tough Luck... You Own It!

5. puma1077

puma1077 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there has been only ONE case out of the thousands upon thousand of black macbooks sold where the stuff flacked off, and NO ONE has been able to reproduce it

and as far the thermal paste in macbooks, no one has really taken theirs apart and posted pics

on ifixit they did, and the paste doesnt look too bad, not even close to as bad as the MBP

stop spreading rubish crap

6. cycloneguy2618

cycloneguy2618 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually I've heard of a couple of cases with the black flaking off... There is a pictuer somewhere of them applying the paste, and its wayyyyy too much.

7. archer

archer Newbie

Reputations:
    Try not to take it personally, it's only a computer.

Simply stating the facts that I have personally observed.

I have been a mac user for many years and enjoyed a number of PowerBooks. I intend to buy a new MBP when they finally get them sorted out.

8. puma1077

puma1077 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    care to link? ive only seen the main one, and i even went to the apple store and scratched one to death with no such flaking

the picture of them applying paste is from the macbook pro repair manual

9. archer

archer Newbie

Reputations:
    Which model PowerBook / MacBook / MacBook Pro are you using?

10. otaku

otaku Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've heard of the black flaking and scratching. Black is a hellish color on cars, computers anything! Also it does run hot also. I have heard of many people re applying the paste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.