Anyone have issue with liquid metal paste drying out?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Chowda289, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Grizzly Conductonaut hands down. I've used CLP and CLU since day one and ever since TGC came out I've put them all to the test.

I only use TGC now because it is simply the best.

I've never had any issues with TGC and all my laptop(S) are all running strong.

For those seeing strange behaviors of LM in general are experiencing the following:

1. Having good tolerance (contact between the die and HS/copper plate) is very important. If there is a gap, dust will collect in there and cause the LM to gump up, where the dust acts like a binder. This is often mistaken for the LM drying out, which is not true.. Metal doesn't dry out. :)

2. The surface of the copper plate on the HS has micro pores and when it is hot, the LM in a way absorbs into those micro pores. This is evident when cleaning off LM off of the copper surface as you'll find it to have a silver stain on it, no matter how much you try to clean it off with a regular cloth etc... This is not the LM elaborating, rather it's just getting absorbed into the copper and reacting to it. There's a lot more scientific stuff going on for sure, but this is the what's happening in simple terms. When metal heats up, it expands....and so does the micro pores.

It is highly recommend to use some pressure paper to ensure that there is good contact being made, before using LM.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Vasudev, Chowda289 and hmscott like this.
  2. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    after 85° LCU and Conductnaut start burning (oxiding, evaporate, solidify etcetera), but their efficiency still remain if heatsink has a proper quantity/contact of paste on it.
    so look at max temps ^_^

3. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    At extreme temps and when the LM is under those conditions for a longer duration, it's the LM reacting with the copper.

The word that I've coined for this in past posts was: "Liquioxidization."

Note: Although it sound cool, it has nothing to do with what's really going on, but it gets the general idea of the LM reacting to the copper across.... at least I hope lol.

4. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm a little confused...I see comments about using it on the CPU. What about the GPU?

@iunlock So, you're saying the stain left is a sponging effect on the copper and any glops/"dried out" spots are from outside materials (like dust) mixing in? Has this been proven or more of a theory? I suppose I agree. It doesn't make a lot of sense for liquid metal to be able to dry out. (That would have significantly changed the plot of Terminator 2!)

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I've only had liquid ultra dry out on me once, and that was because i used too thick of a thermal pad to cover CPU MOSFETs, so it left a gap in the heatsink. I currently have liquid ultra on all my laptops in my signature, none have dried out (except for that one time, in my m18x r2)

6. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    How ironic I was just reading that and discussing this with one of my friends. Yea it's a good run down in a scientific explanation. This validates what I had said above. Good stuff.

hmscott, Vasudev and Chowda289 like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    1.5 Years old Liquid Metal (Conductonaut) before I removed it and put in my New 7700K. Was good as new and would still have had a good life if I didn't change the cpu.

From my testing of an old batch Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Fix the fit and enjoy your Liquid metal for minimum 2 years. But nothing will last forever... Even on good heatsink. Thermal cycle (cold - hot - cold - hot will affect liquid metal in the same way as any thermal paste).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  9. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like I should go with Conductonaut then! Thanks everyone! :vbthumbsup:

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    :) Good choice.

hmscott and Chowda289 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.