Anyone have issue with liquid metal paste drying out?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Chowda289, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm trying to figure out which paste is better, Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra or Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I've read around several places online. Some say there isn't much of a difference. Others say TGC is better. However, I've also read some people having issues with CLU drying out after 3 or more months. (There are a few videos on YouTube.) Has anyone on here had this problem or seen it themselves?

hmscott likes this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Happened with me but after almost a year or more, 3 month means those systems has issues or they didn't repast with the right way.

hmscott and Chowda289 like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had remnants of conductonaut sitting exposed to the air for almost a month. I don't know how you 'test' for it being dried out, but it was as liquidly and as hard to clean as ever. I may just get bored and put a normal drop somewhere and test that.

Conductonaut that is touching copper "can" dry out, if you call that, but that's more or less just a reaction to the copper. Temps do NOT change because of that, but if you remove the heatsink for some reason, you have a very hard material remnant, and you have to completely wipe the copper clean and smooth (do not sand it, just a few minutes of hard strokes of Alcohol and a cloth will work, then keep wiping it until most of the dark stains stop coming out onto the cloth. (it does NOT have to be perfect; remnants of the stains will not affect heat transfer), then reapply.

Dennismungai, Papusan, bennni and 5 others like this.
  4. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback! I was surprised when I read comments about it and saw videos on YouTube (one person had it on his GPU for 3 months and checked...it was still fine....the other person had it on his CPU for 6 months and said it had dried out in the center.) I can post the links if someone wants to see the videos.

hmscott, jaug1337 and Dr. AMK like this.
  5. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I used Conductonaut in my M15X for the CPU (920XM). It worked wonders and allowed me to OC beyond what any standard paste allowed, but dried out pretty quick in my case (~3 months if I recall correctly). Some say air pockets cause this but my heatsink makes perfect contact with the die. I am on standard paste now and don't plan to go back for the time being.

EDIT: In response to Falkentyne, mine dried out and affected my temps significantly. The sudden increased temps is what prompted me to inspect the paste in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Chowda289, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Seems like a classic case of non fitting heatsink to me.

LM will only dry out if there is a gap between the heatsink and the die. The more significant the gap is, the faster the dryout/pumpout time.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I have two Conductonaut drops exposed to the air on the shelf for a week now and they're as liquid as ever. Not sure how yours dried out, @kosti .
    Did you tin the copper surface with conductonaut also? It's best to coat the heatsink contact area because part of the LM will react with the copper.

8. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, I tinned both the copper heatspreader and the CPU die as per the instructions. I spread it with the included swabs. When I removed the heatsink, there were a few (maybe 4 or 5) spherical blobs of the stuff still on the die which had not dried out, but they were tiny little blobs here and there on the die (about 1mm or less in diameter). The rest of the paste looked like it was absorbed by the copper like a sponge. Some paste was also absorbed by the CPU die surface as well because it was also stained with a film of that stuff.

There was also some paste that had seeped over the edges of the die which had not dried. I think that if air contact was the culprit, that portion should have dried as well. I suspect something else at work. Maybe it had to do with my extensive overclocking and benchmarking cycles that I did in the first few days (I did many 10-15 minute runs of Prime95). After a few weeks of normal use afterwards, I left the laptop off for almost 5 weeks because I was traveling. When I returned, and after a couple of weeks of normal use, I noticed the temps shoot up rather abruptly which prompted me to inspect the paste.

Chowda289 likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    This is the first report I ever heard of Conductonaut drying out. Everything else was stuff about Liquid Ultra and their changed formula.

Chowda289 likes this.
  10. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This happened to me last year during the summer so maybe I had an older batch that has since been improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.