anyone have experience with freshwater aquariums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TwiztOG43, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Very nice pics Flanken. I wish I had the time to maintain a tank like that. :p Maybe when I am older.

I was never lucky with the clown loaches. I got them 4 separate times and they always got ick and died on me. :(

I love your school of cories. Looking at them just makes me want to set up my fish tank again. lol
    Tim

2. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You should definitely get back into aquaria! Although I'm lucky in that my girlfriend likes them as much as I do, so we can split the labor and make keeping 3 tanks manageable.

I've found that the small, young clown loaches are especially sensitive and vulnerable to changes in conditions. They do get hardier as they get older; our current trio is at least two years old, and pushing 4 inches by now.

Cories are incredible fun. Our sterbais have successfully bred on several occasions. Their fry take a huge amount of work, but it's incredibly rewarding to see this hanging out in your growout tank:

[​IMG]

3. TwiztOG43

TwiztOG43 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wow three tanks! how do u manage?

4. TwiztOG43

Reputations:
    well it finally happened. i knew this eventually was going to happen. at the beginning of this thread i was talking about the two fish who were hanging out at the bottom finally died. the first one died yesterday and the other today. all the other fish are lively but those two were the ones who seemed depressed!

5. TwiztOG43

Reputations:
    ok so lets bring some life back into this thread.
    well its been a while now, and one of my ghost shrimps has grown pretty large compared to the rest of them for some reason, and also another odd thing is that my neon tetras have been dissapearing lately ? odd, cause the pet shop owner said that they were compatible, but one day when i got home, i saw that the extremely large ghost shrimp was attacking one of my last neons, i don't know if its just me, but i think they are somehow eating my neons. now i know why one of them has become really large compared to the others, and why the neons are dissapearing. there were 5 of them, now all gone! also anyone help me on this, does your ghost shrimp shed allot? cause mine does, and im sick of it, its all over the tank. i want to take it out, but cant becuase i have sand instead of gravel, and i don't want the sand to get sucked up with all the shedded skin of the ghost shrimps. do you know of any fish that eat that stuff? cause i also heard that the ghost shrimp also eat their shedded skin, but mine don't. NEED HELP ITS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

on another note, those who have experienced the fiddler crab in their tank, do you have a place where they can climb up to get to dry land? if not, how long have they lived? cause i used to have one and it always climbed up the filter but then it eventually died cause of stress, it once almost got out of the tank.
    but why do they try to go up the tank to find dry land? is it the fact that its dry or is it because they need air? would they survive with an air stone? u kno those green things that u connect to a tube connected to an air pump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.