anyone have experience with freshwater aquariums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TwiztOG43, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Yea I hate the water splashing, especially when it feeding time. I swear he jumps like a dolphin. My Oscar also likes to rearrange his tank, and I mean that literally. He would carfully moved stuff until he sees fit. LOL

2. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input! I'll try that with the snails. Really, there are a TON in there. I've counted 120 of them and that wasn't all of them.
    I'll be moving next month, so I'll probably try to upgrade to a couple of 55 gallons or something. I'd love to have a barb tank, a chichlid tank, and a saltwater tank. But I'll probably end up waiting on a salt water tank until I get a permanent place.

3. sandt38

sandt38 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And it also allows more rapid growth of algae ;) . Higher temperatures also increases metabolism rates, increasing the rate at which the fish must be fed, and it also increases the ability of fungal growth on the fish, and many diseases (most notably ick).

They do grow very quickly. I had one that got to about 10 inches within a year, but my other fish (manguense, dempsy, and pacu) ate it's fins off... They are big wimps.:p

4. TwiztOG43

TwiztOG43 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    its glass im sure of it. i accidentally broke the glass cover, and also i had an aquarium b4 just like mine and it flexed, and when i tried to fix it it cracked.

5. TwiztOG43

Reputations:
    so as i was talking to the petshop owner he says that the cycling should last a few weeks. but does that mean the smell will too, from the bacteria? also what is cycling anyway? besides what i mentioned above? does it have to do with the filter itself and the water?

and if it is, your saying every time i have to replace it will cycle again, thus brining back the stinky smell?

6. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yeah, definitely wait on the saltwater tank; it's easy to sink a lot of money into a system that can be incredibly touchy and difficult to keep stable. I have to say that moving is the pits; I'm in the process of moving to a new place (during finals, no less!), and next week my girlfriend and I will be taking down and hauling three aquariums: an 80-gallon, a 65-gallon, and a 20-gallon. Now that'll be a major headache.

As it happens, our tanks do vaguely have themes to them. The 80 is a small/medium planted community tank, the 65 exists mainly as a habitat for a large angelfish and a 11-inch common pleco, and the 20 is a growout tank that currently houses corydoras sterbai (sterba's cory) and xenotoca eiseni (redtail splitfin goodeid) fry.

Since I've talked about them a bit, I might as well share my tanks. Here are a few photos:

The 80-gallon tank
    [​IMG]

Assorted cory cats hanging out. Species include c. sterbai, c. caudimaculatus, and c. similis.
    [​IMG]

Honey gourami
    [​IMG]

Corydoras similis
    [​IMG]

Angelfish and clown loaches. This is an unusual photo. The angelfish is usually at the top, and the loaches are usually lying on their sides under a piece of bogwood.
    [​IMG]

7. flanken

Reputations:
    The cycle is basically the time it takes for ammonia and nitrite-consuming bacteria to get established in your tank. Once they get going, the tank will have effective biofiltration as long as the bacteria are supplied with ammonia, oxygen, and decent living parameters.

Here's a good article about the nitrogen cycle, and about basic fishkeeping.

Generally, an aquarium with stable water parameters shouldn't stink at all. What kind of filter do you have in there?

8. TwiztOG43

Reputations:
    its a whisper power filter

9. flanken

Reputations:
    What size? What media do you have loaded in it? (i.e., mechanical, chemical, biological, etc.)

10. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    And does your whisper power filter also have the 2nd filter in it? They should have the white filter that has the charcoal in it, then another black, thin filter. This black filter helps keep the good bacteria in the filter when you throw away the white part of the filter when you change it.

I'd personally recommend investing in a bio-wheel filter. I don't know much about other filters, but the bio-wheels keep the bacteria on the wheel.

BTW, awesome tank Flanken!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.