anyone have experience with freshwater aquariums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TwiztOG43, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiztOG43

TwiztOG43 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well actually my room gets pretty hot, so i plan on getting a chiller come winter time. but it stays around 70-80 in my room.
    also thats not a tinfoil barb, its an air tube, for the rock. it makes bubbles
    and ur right about the filter. also is it normal for the glass to flex? cause i just bought new glass covers for the top and i noticed the long sides are flexing! i only had this thing for a few days!

2. sandt38

sandt38 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Tinfoil Barb is one of your silver fish ;).

[​IMG]

It really shouldn't flex. My tanks were all quite large (the smallest was a 55 gallon breeder tank, and the largest 125 gallon tall tank) and the glass was very thick, so no flex. Without being familiar with the thickness or behavior of smaller tanks, I cannot say for sure though, but it seems as if it would wear out edge seals.

3. JimyTheAssassin

JimyTheAssassin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/ammoniapoison.htmIt smells because ammonia is high. Get a test kit tomorrow if you need proof. I would also recommend ammo carb for your filter, and ammo lock, along with a 25 to 50% water change prior to treatment. You won't need to remove your fish to do so, just don't suck em up the tube. If you think the water smells, just imagine your fish having to drink it.. yuck.

Glass shouldnt' flex.. it must be too thin.. stick with a plastic top if you can.

I like the stickers on your tank too... you must have kids... "don't shoot with bb gun! Painted glass tetra, neon tetra, and mollies right? If they are tinfoils, i'm surprised their eyes dont' look bigger.. but prey they aren't ..or you will need to return them

4. JimyTheAssassin

Reputations:
    This is my tank..hoping the picture works. 10 gallon hexagon, with basic lighting. Just plants, 1 Amazon sword, 2 red mellon swords in the foreground, grass, corkscrew and water sprite..and something I forgot what it's called. I never took the grass out of the pots, and the tank is in much need of house cleaning. The corkscrew in the back doesnt' get enough light so it's gotten ratty ended. But the sword is doing so well it's spawned a baby plant from a stalk towards the top left of the tank. Snails..yah.. that's all the life in this tank. I may add a fish or two someday.
    IMG_0647.JPG

5. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    Hey, I like the look of the tank.

However, one thing I recently learned, is that light gravel/sand is not good for a lot of freshwater fish. I know with barbs, it makes them less vibrant. When I move my tanks, I'm going to remove the upper layer of sand I have and replace it with dark sand or gravel. Of course, I will still have a lower level of substrate (for plants) under that, which I will not remove.

But the tank does look good.

6. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Your snails add to the bioload unnecessarily, so you should probably get rid of them. Sometimes sinking a piece of zucchini or cucumber to the bottom of the tank (perhaps tied to a rock) overnight works well; in the morning, it'll be covered in snails, and you can just pull it out and throw it away.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get the existing guppies in your tank to stop breeding; as long as you have males and females they will breed. To make matters worse, the females can store male gametes for several successive broods, so even if you took the males out you'd still get fry for up to 6 months. There are really three potential solutions.
    • Get rid of all the guppies. Start over with a non-livebearing fish.
    • Get rid of all the female guppies. Keep only males.
    • Buy a pearl gourami, dwarf gourami, or other small-medium size predator to eat the fry. The problem with this is that your 10-gallon can't accommodate much more fish load than it already has.

Also, I doubt those are metal halides. They're usually extremely bright even at low wattages, and they're so expensive that I would expect the OP to know if he had them.

Big tanks are definitely fun, and greatly increase your potential fish options.

7. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    I only have one HUGE Oscar fish in my tank. He doesn't play well with other fish. Sometimes I put a bunch a small fish in the tank so he can have fun chasing and eating them. Oscar fish are like dogs, they get excited when they see you. Of course in a fish's case it's not love, he's just hungry all the time and wants food.

8. sandt38

sandt38 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I loved my Oscars. I had one that would follow me around the room. Nobody else, just me. If anyone else came in the room (and did not come near the tank) he would shy to the back of the tank, or if I was on one side of the room and someone else on another, he would venture to the end of tank I was closest too. If someone got too close to the tank, he would attack the tank right where they were. He was big too, so when he attacked the tank water flew everywhere.

9. JimyTheAssassin

Reputations:
    Ya, oscars rule. If I had a bigger tank I'd consider it too. One of my friends had a huge Oscar growing up and he named it Jesus Christ. It was one heluva smart fish.

Flanken..thanks for the tip on the zucchini

10. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Why would you need a chiller in the winter? Wouldn't a heater be more appropriate?

Generally, high temperatures aren't a problem as long as the tank has sufficient aeration, as the main problem with heat is that warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen.

Also, are you sure your aquarium is glass? Could it be acrylic? Glass shouldn't flex at all; in fact, I don't think it's capable of flexing at aquarium sizes, only shattering.

Finally, you probably won't be able to keep the tinfoil barbs forever; they grow very large very quickly; I've seen specimens up to 16 inches in length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.