Anyone have a Razer Blade 17 Mid 2020 having issues with the screen after going to Sleep?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Oct 5, 2020.

1. bierdc

bierdc Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been struggling with this issue for the past month. My brother (who knows a lot more about computers than do I) and I have tried numerous possible solutions/tests to no avail.

Here's what I can say in my situation at this point, however:
    With the factory SSD, using the updates/drivers that Windows picked up automatically (after a fresh install), the machine works 100% fine. When I try to run it with RAID0 using 2x 2tb SSDs, it works fine until you try to resume from standby, at which point it inevitably crashes.

As a last resort, I'm waiting on an exchange of my PNY SSDs for Crucial SSDs which are, according to Micron, explicitly supported in this laptop. My hopes are not high, but I figured it's worth a try, given the outstanding (but still expensive!) deal I got on this machine. If it doesn't somehow solve the issue, I'll be returning the machine under the assumption that there's an inherent fault. I can't justify this much money on a laptop that can't sleep.

Just for fun, Razer's solution to this generic problem on their FAQs? Disable sleep and hibernate. Really!

I'll update with what I find out.

2. bierdc

bierdc Newbie

Reputations:
    A few days ago I got around to installing the Crucials with yet another fresh install of Windows (letting Windows find all the drivers).

Interestingly, the laptop no longer crashes when resuming from sleep...but it takes a good 30-60 seconds before the screen will come on. During this screen down-time, the keyboard is cycling colors as if the custom layout hasn't loaded, and the status light pulses green, which evidently means that the system is on but the display isn't active. The machine also heats up noticeably during this time before cooling off quickly to normal when the screen comes back on.

This issue at least seems better-documented than the crashing scenario, but I haven't found a clear answer yet. I don't see anything suspicious in event viewer. I'll update if I ever uncover an answer/solution.