1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Anyone extend or renew your existing Dell warranty?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Tim Konuch, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Konuch

Tim Konuch Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I purchased a Dell XPS 1730 five months ago with a three year extended warranty. I am wondering if I will have the option at the end of this contract to extend for another year after it expires? I am thinking to keep this notebook longer than I originally planned.

Has anyone extended your warranty with Dell before it expired? Was it worth it to you (in terms of price, etc.)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

2. fonduekid

fonduekid JSUTAONHTERBIRCKINTEHWLAL

Reputations:
    Yes, you can 'buy' a warranty extension... and IMO, its always nice to have a warranty if you are planning to keep your laptop with you longer.. But I guess you'd have to extend or buy the warranty 'before' the current warranty expires, No?? Check it out.. Cheers.

3. canada16

canada16 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know, how much it would cost to extend a normal warranty as I only have 1 year.

I tried phoning the warranty line but its always closed by the time I get home from work, and you cant see the cost on line.

By the By I live in the UK.

Sorry to highjack, but seemed fitting for your thread.

Thanks

4. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    you have to buy it before it expires. but yes you can extend up to 5 years i believe

5. cfoo

cfoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the rate the XPS are going the extended warranty will be worth every penny.

6. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Yes, you can do that now if you wanted...

How long do you plan on keeping your lappy?? ;) :)

Cin.

7. canada16

Reputations:
    This will be a long purchase.

So will keep until it dies.

Anyone know costs, as I cannot phone as they are only open mon-fri in the UK and tried emailing cust serv, and typical response... they said I need to phone.

So im kinda at a loss, Would phone if good price, but not spending an hour on the phone only to be told its £200.00 = $400.00 to extend.

I have not got that type of cash.

Thanks for your help guys

PS... I really cant understand Dell India, they will never give you a price via email, even though they are a computer corp. surley they have standard prices that they could just send. Beats me?

8. paper_wastage

paper_wastage Beat this 7x7x7 Cube

Reputations:
    its only worth it if the warranty extension is 2-3 MORE years for 25% of your purchase cost... otherwise, its more worth it to get a new laptop with much better specs and probably better price 2 years down the road

9. canada16

Reputations:
    Im just worried about this card thing, and also I only have a 1 year which too be honest should have opted for more, including a 7200rpm hdd.

But hey you cant turn back the clock,

My lappt was :

T8300 -PENRYN
    250GB HDD 5400RPM
    8600GTM DDR3
    MIDNIGHT BLUE
    3GB RAM
    BLUETOOTH
    DVD DRIVE

£680.00 = $1300.00 EST.

10. machineman

machineman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am in the UK and phoned dell to extend the warranty and got it down to £95 for 3 years which is a lot cheaper than they were offering at the time of purchase.

You can haggle, don't accept their first offer, they will phone you back 2 or 3 times to get the business.