Anyone else seeing Microsoft Security Essentials slow startups SIGNIFICANTLY?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by gerryf19, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    It's not svchost.exe that I see running up the CPU usage (though I do see that will sometimes take between 5-15 percent), but msmpeng.exe.

2. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    "If MSMPENG.EXE is constantly consuming excessive memory and CPU, there is a conflict on your PC with another process or service. I would recommend disabling all startup items via MSCONFIG. If the problem goes away, enable startup items one at a time until the conflict is identified. You can also contact support for assistance.
    There has been no single item identified that causes the MSMPENG CPU problem. This problem was very high in v1.5, but was mostly resolved in v1.6 and v2.0. There may still be some lingering conflicts that need to be identified.​
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2"

This was taken from http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/onecaregeneral/thread/d3e8381a-52e8-40a1-bd6f-820113e0e4b3

3. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    I would suggest look at services that are NOT part of Windows.
    Most likely look at third party software like:
    Third Party disk optimizer, defragger.

4. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Anything in the error log?

I know I have some hash error... that apparently used to be known... check those in depth if you find anything.

I'm pretty sure something is wrong if its taking that long.

I am curious - did you recently update MSE? Maybe an error in the definitions?

5. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    Remember people, these are not MY machines. I am simply repairing them for various issues and I keep seeing this. And I don't see this on every machine with MSE--just quite a few. For example, I am typing this on a Windows 7 computer right now that does not display this behavior -- albeit a more powerful computer.

Since no one else is seeing it, I suspect that what I am seeing is normal for these machines, which are quite likely all on the underpowered side (recall most are XP)

My post was a result of a "another one?" moment.

I'm going to chalk this up to "normal" start up performance on largely older equipment because there is nothing particularly wrong with these machines by the time I am done with them--they just struggle to get MSE running.

I can say that removing MSE and putting on something else (I've been adding Avira for people) fixes the problem without fail.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I have MSE on my 3 and a half years old laptop running XP Pro SP3 (fully updated) and on my 6 years old desktop (also XP Pro SP3 fully updated) and neither one displays a real issue, except of course a bit longer time needed for MSE to go from red to green (which is about 5 to 10 seconds more on some machines, if it happens) when compared to my Win 7 x64 Ultimate laptop.

Meh ... it's possible the machines a struggling with MSE because they are older ... or it's simply due to XP itself.

Frankly the issue is practically non-existant even if it's there, and it's perfectly fine in my opinion.

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thinking... I have a 1GB Pentium M 1,6GHz laptop with an 80GB HDD on Win7 (works as a server :)) - and that starts up quickly... with MSE...

8. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had high cpu usage with it service. Uninstalled and have been using Avira since. Although i would like to use MSE

9. Mikazukinoyaiba

Mikazukinoyaiba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    People should have hardware that can support MSE IMHO, move on from XP it's dead.

10. HPDV6700

HPDV6700 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
    File Name : MsMpEng.exe
    Friendly Name : AntiMalware Service Executable
    Version : 2.0.6212.0
    Total Time : 6987ms
    Degradation Time : 4487ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 1/28/2010 11:46:35 PM

EventData

StartTime 2010-01-28T23:46:35.640Z
    NameLength 12
    Name MsMpEng.exe
    FriendlyNameLength 31
    FriendlyName AntiMalware Service Executable