Anyone else seeing Microsoft Security Essentials slow startups SIGNIFICANTLY?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by gerryf19, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    I have been a pretty strong supporter of MSE since it's release and have been impressed with its performance and virus catching capability so far, but in the last month or so I have seen a significant startup time degradation on at least two dozen computers.

I'm not talking a few seconds, but 20-30 seconds and significant CPU usage at startup (40-50) that lasts at least another 30-60 seconds after the desktop appears. During that 30-60 seconds, system performance in general is pretty poor (cursor unresponsiveness, program stumbles, etc).

I find that with Vista and Windows 7 the problem tends to be to the lesser time and with Windows XP it tends to the longer disruption.

In the grand scheme of things, a minute is not the end of the world, but this behavior was not present earlier in the product's live cycle.

Just curious if I am the only one seeing this

2. jeremysdad

jeremysdad Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haven't seen anything like that here, on 4 machines.

3. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    To be honest, on my lappy, it's as if MSE isn't even there. It's very light weight, and literally made for Windows 7. If you're having a problem, it's very unusual.

4. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't use MSE for its memory use being greater than Avira for the same protection. The fact you see it on 2 dozen machines is a little mind-bobbling; good thing I stuck with Avira.

5. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmm...I haven't noticed any difference on my machines. MSE is still running great. Is it possible that it's something else that's the cause, maybe something not playing nice with MSE. I know during the beta, I had issues with MSE and DVDFab not playing nice together whereby simply launching DVDFab would cause MSE to crash and bring the system down with it, but that was fixed a long time ago.

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am not having this problem. Best bet is to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

7. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    This is not my personal machine. I repair computers and have run into this a lot lately--but not on every machine. I have not seen it at all on Windows 7, but see it quite a bit on windows xp.

I know that MSE is supposed to disable Windows Defender, and I believe it shares the same engine. I suspect that the problem in XP is related to what I have seen lately and thought that was the issue.

In the past week, however, I have seen it on some Vista machines.

8. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    Ooo, well then that explains it....no one here see's this issue on Windows 7, but you're seeing it on machines running XP.

Must be a conflict of some kind to be taking so long to load, and yea, probably with defender or other system files. I didn't know they made MSE for XP, it was really made for 7.

9. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    System Requirements
    • Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
    • For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
    • For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
    • VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
    • 140 MB of available hard disk space.
    • An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
    • Internet Browser: (Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later/Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.)
    • Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information, see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I thought it was only an XP issue as that is where I had seen it most. The last week I've been seeing it on Vista as well. I wish I had been paying closer attention to the earlier ones, but I know the two I saw this on today were both 32-bit Vista machines, both with 2gb of RAM. One was Vista Professional, the other other was Vista Home Premium (not that I think the "edition" matters.

Neither machine had been infected by a virus--I was looking at them for something else.

I can tell you that taking it off (and putting avira on) both improved start up performance

10. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sometimes svchost.exe (host process for Windows update - which auto updates MSE) eats up a lot of CPU after start up and this is normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.