Anyone added WWAN to a P870 chassis?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by PsyberEMT, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I finally got an email contact with someone at Sierra Wireless. The vast majority of M.2 slots in laptops (that aren't specifically for WWAN) are M.2 Key M. All of the new WWAN cards are M.2 key B.[​IMG]

Currently there are adapters with built-in SIM slots to allow the use of the new M.2 B key modems in the old Mini PCIe slots. There hasn't been anything released that he's aware of to convert a B key to an M key with a SIM slot. The primary difference is B key = 2x PCIe lanes, M key = 4x PCIe lanes, and that single pin difference, of course.

Until someone releases a B to M adapter with the SIM tray built in it sounds like we're SOL. I'd imagine it'll be coming as he said I wasn't the first to ask about doing exactly what we're trying to do.

2. PsyberEMT

PsyberEMT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And not 10 minutes after typing all that I had an epiphany. The current best chipset WWAN modem is the Sierra 7455 series. It is probably the last one they'll make in the older mini PCIe format, but they do make it. There are plenty of mini PCIe to M.2 adapters available for people to reuse old mSATA SSDs:
    [​IMG]
    Add to that a mini pci-e SIM card adapter that simply wraps around the 8 pins on the right side of the mini pci-e card and adds a SIM slot:
    [​IMG]
    And the obligatory MC7455 card:
    [​IMG]
    And I can't come up with any reason it wouldn't work...assuming of course there is a place to put it in the case with the appropriate clearance.

You'd also need an antenna kit:
    [​IMG]
    The reality is all of the parts could be had for around $200-$250. Could you get a hotspot or USB modem for way less? Of course! But it wouldn't be integrated and invisible :).

I am getting ready to move cross country so I'm waiting to order my P870KM from HID, but once I get settled in and get it ordered I may give it a shot just for giggles. Worse case scenario I pop the modem into my Thinkpad and it just works.

ssj92 and t456 like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The only thing is the extra width around the M.2 needed for the conversion.