Anybody using WPA2-Enterprise at home?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by ViciousXUSMC, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just for the grin and giggle of it I was thinking of setting up WPA2-Enterprise at home, there are quite a few ways to do it ranging from easy to very hard.

Generally speaking the easy options are the more expensive, and the free options are the most difficult.

I doubt I would gain any security from it since I have WPA2 already (and if security was a big fear of mine I could turn down the radio power, MAC filters etc)

I just think this might be a fun project and wonder if anybody else has already tried it and what methods/hardware you used to accomplish it.

Yes as an uber nerd I think it would be cool when everybody does a SSID scan and sees the one and only WPA2 Enterprise network in the area under my name :)

2. hhhd1

hhhd1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i tried it for a while, 6 years ago, but it is definitely not worth it for home, it is useful for enterprise cause you can give/revoke permissions for users individually

it was not hard or expensive, just a bit time consuming cause of lack of information about the specifics.

i needed to keep a lan computer running all the time so that it will handle the authentication requests for the wireless devices, and that was a bit inconvenient.

i wonder if it possible to do now with custom firmwares like dd-wrt without having to keep a lan pc running

3. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes there are end user devices now that can have the Radius server built into your Router/Firewall so you do not have to keep a computer on 24/7. Not sure if you can add it via Tomato, DD-WRT, Merlin, ETC but I know you can buy them pre-made under big names like HP for a fair price.

I normally do keep my computer on, but it would suck if the computer was off or down. I imagine I could integrate it into my FreeNAS server or something small like a RasberryPi

4. Towlieee

Towlieee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've never personally used it, but it's baked right into many builds of dd-wrt and I'm sure many other open firmwares

I just went and checked my security settings and there it is, on my $20 used linksys router with dd-wrt lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.