Anybody know of a custom shop that can do something like this?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Avoid doing things like this and I'm sure it will last you a while...

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    It's always been a mixed bag with me. I've seen a 2004 F250 Powerstroke (don't laugh or I'll start calling it Duramax) perform awesome for over 200k miles before needing any major engine work. That includes 10k lbs of towing on a weekly basis. I've also seen the F350's and above (and a '99 F250) behave poorly and need service for everything under the sun. I still hate working on the Fords. They are not wrench friendly.

The Chevy diesels are very good, but they tend to have issues with suspension, at least the one diesel 3500 we had in the fleet did. But that could also be the rough terrain it drove on constantly. I did not like the way the automatic trans operated on the Chevy trucks. Seemed overwhelmed for those sizes of engines.

Didn't have any Dodge trucks in our fleet, but one of our guys did have a RAM (gas powered). He kept having transmission issues, even after they replaced it. Could have just been a fluke with that model year or something. Cummins is not something to overlook. They are renowned for being as reliable as they are powerful. Fuel efficiency is average for them.

In Tsuname's case, he would need to go with the Dodge or Chevy. Those are the only two with a reasonable chance of getting a heavy duty non commercial pickup with a manual. Ford will stonewall you left and right to force you into an auto (and I know how you feel about auto trans). Chevy and Dodge will offer the manual as a special order add on.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I believe if your set on a manual transmission then the Dodge is the only way to go. You may be able to get it in a Chevy but its not offered on their website.

My uncle has a 2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke and he's always having issues with it, and it isn't just motor issues. He's replacing his hubs frequently and all sorts of things. I believe it only has 195k miles on it.

He also has a 2004 Chevy Duramax with over 200k miles on it, and he doesn't have any problems with it, just regular maintenance items on a regular schedule.

My Dad has a 2008 Dodge 3500 Cummins with 120k miles on it, we haven't had to do anything with it so far, it has the 6 speed auto and the fluid is still very clean and the tranny works perfectly.

If you are buying the truck new then you will realize that all of them have new emissions systems on them. These systems can be very problematic, even causing the loss of turbos in some cases. If you are not required to do emission tests in your area then I would suggest turning any of them in to 'off road only' vehicles.

I used to have a 1994 cummins that had over 400k miles on it, original motor and tranny(manual) It still had tons of power, though I did do injectors and turned the pump up on it.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    This truck, unfortunately will be automatic, as it will be a grocery/hauling equipment truck. I just wasn't so sure of Dodge's transmissions on the Cummins models, I know the engine is very reliable and robust. This truck for me will be a family hauler as well as normal duty truck. I find that buying something overkill is usually better. Also don't like the fact no 3rd row SUV offers a diesel option, and most 3rd row real 4WD SUVs get somewhere in the low teens for fuel economy, hence the diesel.

5. radji

Reputations:
    :err::eek2:

Automatic?

...Oh, damn. Well then it's a jump ball really.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah, Dodge used to run an old 4 speed with their diesels and it was very weak. They had that problem from 89-2007.5 At that point they switched to the 6 speed auto and it does worlds better. They actually give the trucks with automatics more power than the manuals, because they have so much power now that you will burn through clutches to quickly with all that torque.

My dads 2008 has the 6 speed and we've chipped it, removed the emissions, 5" TBE, and put water/methanol injection on it. While on dirt roads if you stomp on it from 0 then you don't have traction at your rear wheels until your moving ~65 mph. Its also hauled tons of trailers, including a 50' 5th wheel loaded for over 1200 miles one way, no problems.

Here is a list comparing the three 2012 models:
    http://media.caranddriver.com/files...bhd-trucks-compro-complete-specs-and-info.pdf

If you really are afraid of the Ram then check out the Duramax, the allison is a well proven transmission, and the motor isn't half bad really. But I honestly think if you go test drive a Ram(2010+) you will be impressed.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Actually does anyone know about the reliability of Dodge/Chrysler's new 3.0L V6 turbodiesel? That's going to be an option on the 1500 very soon, might be a cheaper option than buying a heavy duty work truck just to get a turbodiesel.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    The motor is built by VM Motori they have put a few different motors in a few different Jeeps. They had a 4 cylinder 2.8L motor in the old Jeep Liberty Diesel. In 2010 they made another 4 cylinder 2.8L that they put in the Wrangler and Cherokee. I once took one of those diesel Liberties on a 1,000+ mile road trip and it did really well. Here are a few links for the RAM 1500 diesel.

2014 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel Review and Road Test - YouTube

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Gets 28 MPG Highway in Real MPG Testing - Motor Trend WOT

I have heard people complain about that Liberty motor, but I have a friend who owns 3 of them and he hasn't had any problems motor side(had some window regulators fail though).

And lets not forget, the RAM 1500 is the only truck to ever get two(2!) consecutive 'Motor Trends' Truck of the Year' award.

If you are going 1500 then Nissan is threatening to release a V8 Cummins engine in their Titan.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Some people said an older model of the VM Motori diesel in the Liberty had issues, but not the newer 3.0L V6. I don't feel the V8 Cummin TD would be that economical nor cost efficient as a smaller V6 TD.

10. radji

Reputations:
    And you would be correct. The V8 is more of a workhorse. It's mean more for towing things. You're only moving people and freight (assuming you won't be towing children in a trailer, no?). A smaller V6 should do just fine, especially if you're gonna extend the cab to a three row cab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.