Anybody know of a custom shop that can do something like this?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    So this may sound really stupid, but does anyone know of a shop or any custom place that can do something like this:

[​IMG]

Honestly what I need it for is, we constantly have to lug around 4 rugrats. My girlfriend's family has a Chevy Express 3500, but honestly the suspension on that is horrible, and hardly has any cargo space once the 3rd row on of benchseats are installed. That and the turbodiesel option added to the passenger van cost, it's almost 50k. Surely a custom 3rd row superduty can't be as much as that. Is there any shop that can do a 3rd row in a super duty truck, literally at the end of the crew cab, install another set of doors and cabin space for another row, but still retaining the long bed of a super duty? I just hate minivans, and 3rd row SUV's have almost no space with the 3rd row up (my dad's Pilot and my mom's Highlander have the same issue). While the 3500 with the 3rd row has a little bit of space, installing the 4th row of benchseats means no more room.

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Look for a local shop that builds limos and/or hearses. Hummer limos, stretch limos and hearses have to have their cabs elongated so an auto body shop which specializes in limos and hearses will be up for the challenge.

In a quick search, I found this: Scott's Custom Auto Body - Beltsville, MD (Maryland, right?)

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I know theres a Dodge Cummins around here with a cab setup like that. Last time I saw it listed(used) it was 50k. I've seen it in person and it looks pretty good. I'm out in Utah and I know it was customized here, I don't know the shop though.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Hrm alright, I'll look around. I just don't know why people don't want pickups with more than a crew cab, I hate minivans, and I don't have a problem with large SUV's, but I would like the ability to transport like a decent amount of people and still have room to haul stuff. Seems like everything out there is a choice between people vs cargo, and not both. And I've driven numerous worktrucks and the Express with a trailer hitched, and that is no fun.

I really wanted to know if it was feasible, seems like it.

5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It'll be hella expensive. But I think it's cool. ;)

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
  7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I guess that isn't too bad, another shop that will do a 6 door conversion for like 23k and you bring your own truck. Now to decide which I want...probs looking at the Ford Superduty trucks.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I wouldn't touch a Ford diesel with a 10 foot pole.. Much less drop another ~$23k into one after buying it.

I suggest you spend alot of time test driving the 3 trucks before you commit to any particular one.

radji likes this.
  9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Are Ford diesels that bad? I see so many Powerstroke superduty around here in MD. TBH all I want is a large pickup that will substitute as a large SUV replacement, as no 3rd row SUV is offered with a diesel. I also want the long bed for hauling alot of stuff, but not hauling really heavy stuff. Won't really be towing much. I know the Cummins turbodiesel are good, but adunno about Dodge. Adunno that much about Chevy's Duramax diesels, I always thought they were the lowest on the rung. I know alot of superduty truck owners, and everyone has their own opinion on reliability and what is crud, and everyone says each of the big 3 superduty trucks are reliable..

10. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am also wondering on any licensing / insurance changes and regulations, since the wheelbase will be so much longer. and with a long box that thing will be a capital B to park in many places. somewhere in Calgary there is a Dodge 3500 unit limo with 6 doors and has all wheel steering ... that could be fun

I live in Oil country and my brotherinlaw has a Ford dealership ... general answer is oh heck yes they are that bad, and no I never asked why since the only Ford our family has is a classic stang

radji likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.