Any Windows user switched to Mac only?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Phoenix, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Has anyone like completely switched to Mac and ditched Windows completely? If so, please share your experiences ranging from how you like the OS, how you managed to find alternatives for all your Windows apps that you've been probably using for years, what was better? etc...

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can buy Parallels and run Windows side by side w/o any issue or Use Bootcamp. You can't get rid off MSFT Win 10 because some apps are so much superior and just works like always.
    You need to use mouse quite often to todo even most basic tasks.
    I tried Mac during Yosemite era so I might be outdated with solid info and I never liked it aside from Spotlight search which works by pressing Ctrl+Space.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    I tried it when I bought a MBP a few months ago. Couldn't get the hang of it, so to speak, so I returned it to the Apple store about a month later (holiday return policy). The first-party applications were pretty neat and of course worked very well (was especially happy with the iPhone functionality of making/receiving calls from the laptop). However, using third-party applications outside of the application store (which is the majority of my computer use case, regardless of OS) was a major sore point for me, even for applications with an OSX/macOS version. For a device that is supposed to be dead simple and thoughtless (when it comes to the "just works" mentality), it was a bit of a disappointment in my experience. Eventually, I replaced the MBP with the Insprion 7577 in my sig; while it's not as small/thin as the 13 MBP I had nor has a similar battery life, it's something I can use pretty well and as I bonus I don't have to lug my mITX gaming desktop around when I visit family.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the keyboard (2017 MBP nTB), given what I've read about it prior to purchase, as well as my own notions of what is an acceptable amount of key travel.

Phoenix and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Someone like Phoenix will hate OS X after a week or two. OS X needs more clicks and less keyboard usage.
    If you want a easier syncing and restore of a iphone and want a PC that just works w/o any frills or chills use a Mac and enjoy. For pure productivity and gaming, I still lean towards Linux and Windows.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    You can use macOS pretty easily with the keyboard (it does come with a decent terminal, like Linux/BSD), but if that’s the goal you’d probably be better off using Linux/BSD (or Windows + PowerShell if that’s youre thing) assuming there’s no dependence on macOS-only software.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I meant keystrokes are different, everything need Cmd plus anything. Opening File explorer needs a mouse click instead of opening file mgr using keystrokes.
    Mac OS is slick, intuitive for users who haven't used a PC at all! Its like using a smartphone.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    Oh, well that’s to be expected when you move from one environment to another.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well Linux simply closes the UI gap, almost same keystrokes for cut, paste or commonly used shortcuts.

9. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Experiment with Hackntosh and see if you can tolerate mac.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never fully - always with a Windows virtual machine in use (Virtualbox). In my experience, there have always been several apps that just don't have a MacOS equivalent. On the other hand, most of the software that I regularly use has native support, so it's not a huge issue. Losing a large amount of disk space for the VM is however quite an annoyance, which also doesn't have an easy solution, while still providing good performance and portability.