Any Windows Converts?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by jyar727, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm a long time windows user. I had my thinkpad T61 and loved it but it was getting old (and it had been through a lot of abuse). The build quality of that computer was outstanding and the red IBM trackpoint thing was great. I didn't know if I could have a laptop without.

I started looking at laptops at the beginning of February. While I had no desire to switch to a mac, I compared all my options and the new 13" MPB seemed like the best solution for me. I wanted a thin 13" laptop with a CD drive and that made my options surprisingly limited. I love the build quality of the MPB. The aluminum casing is great; the screen is amazing; and the keyboard and touchpad are great as well. The transition to OSX was relatively easy, and with google searches, it shouldn't take more than a few days to figure out the nuances of OSX.

I will say this though. OSX is not what I thought it would be. I switched over from windows 7 which I thought was great and stable. Maybe I was expecting more from OSX because it had been built up so much by others, but so far I've encountered problems with it that I never encountered with windows 7.

In sum, the MBP is great and you can't go wrong with. However, if you want to stick with windows 7 then look at the new vaio s. (If I knew about the vaio s a few weeks ago I probably would have stuck with windows 7 myself)

2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr NBR Decepticon NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    One word...trackpad
    I can't stand to use my crappy mouse/pc at work.

3. kanoej

kanoej Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i'm possibly moving to osx...can u please go into detail regarding "but so far I've encountered problems with it that I never encountered with windows 7."

thanks.

4. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's nothing that should detract you from switching to OSX. The only reason why I'm being so critical is probably because my expectations for OSX were built up so high by mac users. Anyway some of the things I encountered are that I have to force quit programs sometimes because they stall out and don't close (that's like ending a task in the task manager in windows). I've also had my laptop not connect to my network upon waking up from sleep and I had to shut down and restart.

I'm being very nit-picky, but again it's only because OSX is so glorified and windows is always being put down as less stable OS. From my experience so far, windows 7 is as stable if not more stable than OSX.

5. jyar727

jyar727 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the input everyone! Heh really wasn't trying to start a windows vs mac os x sort of thing :D. I'll check out the VAIO S but I dont know... it doesn't seem like the real Vaio Z1 replacement so I would hate myself if I got it then the actual vaio z replacement came in. The MBP however just seems like the next gen notebooks so I'm mostly likely going to go for it since you guys had some pretty good input about it. Just have to sell my vaio z :)

6. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i could have sworn we were talking about running windows on a macbook here...

let me explain my analysis. i always talk from the perspective of someone trying to get office work done in a non-office environment(otherwise what is the point of a laptop? - rhetorical question). that means that you will be in 'unpredictable' environments with varying CPU requirements. its the difference between claiming 'up to' or 'at least.'

but yes, i can also get about 7(maybe it was 8?) hours doing textedit and minor web browsing with os x and 2-3 bars of brightness...that was in an indoor environment, when i knew from the start of my session that i had enough CPU power under powersaving mode.

ps, you cannot honestly tell me in good faith that the trackpad in windows is as good as in os x, can you?

7. Generic User #2

Reputations:
    with minimal brightness? sorry, no offence meant to you. i just think its better for a forum to give WORST CASE estimates because a poster can just look up the manufacturer website for best case numbers.

also, i think the trackpad is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in os x....but i definitely notice a significant drop in sensitivity and obviously in features when you use bootcamp. i prefer it over other windows trackpads because the glass feels nicer and its very spacious(coming from a guy who hasn't used the envy touchpads on a regular basis).

8. Adivino

Adivino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been using windows for many years and i still do because I need some specific sofware that only runs in windows.

I moved to mac two years ago and in my experience, the best way to start, to live up to your expectation with a mac and to be happy since the begining is having the two OS already installed.

Two years ago I use to run windows 80% of the time (in parallels). Now is the other way round (OSX most of the time).

9. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, this thread was asking if anybody here had converted from Windows to Mac OS. Even then, most people are reporting over 3 hours of usage out of their MBPs running Windows with the 13" model coming it at over 5 hours.

I don't know, I have not run Windows at all on my MBP simply because I have not found a reason to. I have Office, AutoCAD, and Matlab all on my MBP and that is all I am ever going to need in terms of productivity. I essentially want to keep Windows off of my MBP as I have other systems that run Windows 7 and Windows XP just fine.

10. Generic User #2

Reputations:
    did you read the OP's second paragraph? he's talking about how it is using windows on mac hardware...naturally, i'm telling him what to expect(albeit pessimistically, but still) when you use windows on mac hardware.

you can go on antagonizing if you want, but you're being needlessly ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.