Any VPCZ1 owners who are trying to install Windows 11?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by VPCZ12, Jun 26, 2021.

1. VPCZ12

VPCZ12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I understand that our model don't meet the min requirements, such as TPM 2.0, old 1st gen CPU, secureboot... but there are ways to bypass this fortunately.

Anyone planning on taking this journey for experimentation? ;)

BTW, my VPCZ1 is still holding... a new keyboard is on the way as I speak.

anytimer likes this.
  2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, I'll go for it. Might take me a few days though.
    I believe the way to go is to use a Win10 ISO and replace the install.wim with the install.wim from the Win11 ISO.

Not sure if the UEFI requirement will cause issues or not.

VPCZ12 likes this.
  3. anytimer

Reputations:
    Did an in place upgrade (from Windows 10) using a Windows 10 iso after replacing appraiserres.dll from a Windows 10 iso to get around the hardware requirements issue.
    Everything went fine. There were three unknown devices in the device manager. Windows update gave me drivers for two. Had to dig out my old drivers saved on an external HDD to find the SFEP driver. If anyone wants it I can upload for them - I wasn't able to find it on the internet.

Note: I have a hacked BIOS - static switching. So far I have not done anything for the nVIDIA GPU.

Next I'll try clean installing from the USB stick I made from the iso.

4. anytimer

Reputations:
    A clean install gave me 4 problem devices in Device Manager.
    1. Intel graphics driver - got from WU-> optional updates.
    2. Authen-Tec fingerprint reader driver - got from WU-> optional updates.
    3. Base system device - Ricoh MS card reader and SD card reader (drivers from my backup on an external HDD)
    4. Unknown device - SFEP (driver from my backup on an external HDD)

Windows 11 REALLY wants you to use a Microsoft account. A lot of stuff (even widgets) don't work without it.

VPCZ12 likes this.
  5. anytimer

Reputations:
    nVIDIA GT330M Patched 342.01 driver working fine on Windows 11 Pro x64 22000.51.
    (Note: I have a hacked BIOS with static switching, not the hybrid system).
    Everything seems to be working just fine - damn M$ and their artificial and arbitrary hardware requirements and exclusions.
    I haven't tested it thoroughly - this is a 11 year old laptop and the cooling system is shot, so running in speed mode (with discrete graphics) results in the laptop overheating and turning off. I'll have a go at doing some maintenance, but I'll probably have better luck in winter when it gets cooler.

VPCZ12 likes this.
  6. anytimer

Reputations:
  7. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    Very nice! Thanks for going through all the trouble and getting back to me. Glad to hear that the workaround works OK for our devices! As for the SFEP driver goes, it should work with the one that worked with Windows 10 right?

I was digging through some older threads about the TPM, and if I recall correctly, the US model does not come with the TPM, while other models do. Hopefully MS doesn't block the workaround in the official release.

anytimer likes this.
  8. anytimer

Reputations:
    Just run the tool shown in my screenshot. It will tell you what are the points of contention. WhyNotWin11.exe - get it from github.
    Yes, whatever drivers worked in Windows 20 are working in Windows 11. Windows Update gives you everything except SFEP and the Ricoh card reader drivers, and, of course, the modded nVIDIA driver.

I expect the hardware restrictions will eventually come down to the feature level - as it should have been from the get go (what were you thinking, Microsoft?).
    A feature that depends on specific hardware will not work if that hardware isn't there. Touch input needs a touch screen, Windows Hello face login needs a supported webcam, newer processors for the Android subsystem, ... that kind of thing.

9. anytimer

Reputations:
    So what's definitely not working at this time is the Widgets pane when the Intel graphics is selected. The widgets pane is completely blank - a rather nice translucent pane. The widgets are there, though - just invisible. Hovering over various portions changes the cursor to a hand, shows a tooltip, and clicking there launches Edge and opens the correct link.
    Widgets work fine with the NVIDIA graphics adapter, though.
    You can force the Widgets to work with the Intel graphics by going to device manager and disabling the Intel graphics adapter. Widgets will start working. Now you can re-enable the Intel graphics adapter and the widgets will continue to work, but only until the next reboot.

VPCZ12 likes this.
  10. VPCZ12

Reputations:
    That’s so strange. I’m mostly going to stay in SPEED mode so hopefully that won’t be an issue then. Nevertheless thanks for the warning!

One question I have is, once you have installed the Windows 11 on this device, are you able to keep receiving updates? And when you do, does it throw you any errors? Caused by incompatibility or anything like that? Thanks!