Any thoughts about cheap storage upgrades?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Token CDN, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've used a few different drives and sure heat can be an issue depending on what you have them installed in. Some external enclosures hit throttling temps pretty quickly whether from the material they were made from or the controller they used.

My desktop is using a PM961, my laptop has 2 drives BXP Pro / PNY XLR8 and the all run fine for day to day tasks ~ 27-30 degrees..... The only time they really get toasty though is if I'm moving huge data for sustained periods of time like a drive copy and they'll jump to ~60 degrees or so. I switched enclosures though to a RTL9210 Plugable and that's acting pretty nicely with the drives as far as temps go.

Some of the J Micron / ASMedia enclosures though got pretty toasty even w/o a load on the drive.

If you pop open your laptop to do work pull the heat sink off and clean the exhaust fins of any debris and that should help as well. If the drive is running hot check for firmware updates as Phison E12 controllers tend to ship with old firmware and using v 12.3 fixes most of those issues and the speeds of the drive hit marketing literature after the flash.

Lastly you can get heat sink pads for the drive as well fairly cheaply if it's still an issue.

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t worry about it, they are designed to adjust performance based on the thermal situation. It’s normal. You can’t expect an nvme drive to sustain 2.5-3.5 Gbps without any heat ouput... They’ll still be faster than SATA drives even in throttled states, unless you have a really bad model.

As for the booting from nVME issue, try to disable secure boot, I don’t think EFI has anything to do with the issue.

It could also be an issue with a specific drive series not working with that model, I know the 970 EVO Plus for example had issues for those making Hackintosh builds a while back for example while the 970 EVO worked.

Another option is a Crucial MX500 SATA drive, it has power loss protection as well, granted not as important on a laptop. I would avoid the very cheap DRAMless SSDs though.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion but i think you should keep the HDD but upgrade your current SSD to a bigger drive preferably to a NVMe SSD. Since your HDD is being used a data drive it wont affect performance much at all unless you've programs installed on it. If you want you can also replace your HDD with a 1TB 2.5 SATA SSD since most of them are under $100 these days.